Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TiffanyRSnyder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 02:01 PM
    Fish died in course of 24 hours?
    Hello, my name is Tiffyy. For my birthday my husband bought me an aquarium and a few fish. I have a 10 gallon starter tank from walmart, and I filled it with 4 plastic plants, rainbow/neon pink/black gravel, and I have a glow in the dark moonrock from walmart, and a rainbow cave. I am running the tank with a heater, as well as an aerator. I had 3 tiger barbs, one neon goroumi, and a pleco. I started the tank on 09/30 and added fish on 10/01.

I started the tank with natural stone gravel, and after I had the fish in the tank, I decided I really hated the gravel, and changed it to the neon stones above. I rinsed the new gravel, scoped out the old gravel with a net, and slowly placed in the new. I did this on 10/06. Today 4 of my 5 fish died. I have been treating the water with aquasafe when I started the tank, and when I added the fish (I realized after I added the fish, I needed to add 2 more inches of water), and when I changed the gravel. I also treated the water with clear water the day before I changed the gravel because it was so cloudy I couldn't see the fish or anything really in the tank at all. Our pH was really low, so we were using Correct pH tabs from Jungle every few days to try and raise it.

The neon goromi had signs of fin rot, and was lethargic, always floating in the bottom or top of the tank. The tiger barbs were always picking at it. I would feed an algea wafer once or twice a day, and I would feed tropical flakes about the same. After reading through some posts on here, I realized I might have over fed.

I realize I did something wrong, and I don't want my pleco to die, and I want to be able to feel confident in adding more fish sometime. I am going to get tests for the tank tomorrow when the local pet shop is open. I am using city water, that I know is clorinated, so I added the Aquasafe, and it seems to work. Any other ideas?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Firstly you didn't allow the tank to cycle long enough.
    This allows for the break down of chemicals already in the water and for beneficial bacteria to form.
    This can take anything up to two weeks for a brand new tank.
    This should offer some further guidance: Guide For Setting Up A Fish Tank

Until you have a properly setup tank then you will simply be wasting your money on adding any fish. Cycling is everything..

Time to start over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried employee works 2 hours, do I get paid for 8 hours? [ 5 Answers ]

If I'm a salaried employee, and work 2 hours in the office one day, then go home sick, does my employer have to pay me for 8 hours?

I bought 3 Ryukin goldfish and 2 died within 8 hours, what could have happened? [ 3 Answers ]

My tank is new, had been up and running empty except for 1 live plant for a week, I had Petsmart test the water before buying my fish. I added 3 Ryukin goldfish and 2 algae eaters yesterday at about 1:30 and by 11 pm 2 of the goldfish had died. The 3rd is swimming about and the algae eaters seem...

I have a grand child who sleeps 2 hours and stays awake 22 hours. [ 6 Answers ]

My grand child sleeps 2 hours and stays awake for 22 hours. Her mother has talked to doctor and he gave her some things to try but nothing is working.I've seen on TV (health chan) something about children who do not sleep but can't remember what they found out to solve the problem. I'm trying to...

Two taps can fill a tank in 75/8 hours .Tap of larger diameter take 10 hours less tha [ 1 Answers ]

Two taps can filla tank in 75/8 hours.If tap of larger diameter take 10 hours less than the smaller one to fill the tank separately.Find the time taken by the taps to fill the tank separately?

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

View more questions Search