Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ericssonguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 01:20 PM
    I am a cashier at a large retailer, would I benefit from wrist weights?
    Hi, I work as a cashier and have always been overweight. I have tried everything to lose the weight... Several diets, exercise 4 days out of the week... I haven't tried any weight loss pills or whatever, I don't trust them... The point is that I want to lose weight. Would something like wrist or ankle weights help me out? I figured the constant motion of cashiering would mean wrist weight would help. But I want to see what others think before I buy anything...
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2011, 02:23 PM
    I work as a cashier as well. Personally, I would never wear wrist weights to work. I know they would slow me down and if there was any benefit, I think it would be outweigh by the discomfort of having a weight on my wrist all day long.

Have you talked with your doctor about weight loss? If your diet and exercise programs aren't working, there's a few possible reasons. The two that come to mind are either 1) the diet and exercises aren't right for you or 2) there may be an underlying medical condition preventing weight loss. Either way your doctor should be able to help you find a healthy, successful solution.

Oct 10, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the responses!
    Eating habits:
    In general, my breakfast consists of 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, and 2 slices of toast. I tend to drink hot tea or a glass of chocolate milk. When neither are available I just have water. Sometimes I'll have a 16oz sized bowl of whatever cereal we have with 2% milk and toast instead of bacon and eggs.

Lunch depends. I work at night and often forget to pack something so I have a few options, Del Taco (2 tacos, small fries, medium iced tea with sweet n low), Jack in a box (havent actually gone since I started working 2 months ago, but would probably be a cheeseburger with small fries, medium tea.) Or buying something from the store which would still be pre-made as our bakery/deli is closed at night. When I do remember to pack something it is usually a turkey sandwich with lettuce, cheese, onions only (no mayo, oil, or vinegar)

Dinner also depends, though this is on what is planned at home, I live with my parents and mom does most of the cooking. Usually chicken made in various ways (roasted, bbq'd, boiled. Very rarely is it fried.) Sides for me are usually potatoes, broccoli, and corn. No gravy, just a little butter and salt. Also usually sweet tea (sugar at home) or water, sometimes some pepsi... If I happen to be cooking then it'll probably be bbq'd steak or some spaghetti...

Lately (last few months) I've been having larger portions, but I have controlled my serving sizes before when dieting and exercising.

Outside of work I do very little. Except on my days off... I sleep during the day and when I have the time to actually work out, it would wake up the rest of the family etc. So I walk/run on our treadmill on my days off. I want to start some weight training, and just need to get my dad's old weight set constructed and moved into the spare room... Until that is done I lift the weight bar alone after the treadmill. (I don't want to risk a weight falling off and breaking something.)

I have talked to my doctor, but (and this really surprised me) he jumped right to surgery... I'm 21, 5'7", approx. 275 lbs. I don't look too bad, just big in the torso...

Once again, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I look forward to any other responses. :D
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 01:58 PM
    275 at 5'7" is clinically obese. The Doctor probably recommended surgery as a quick fix. Do you have health issues - diabetes, high blood pressure?

Oct 10, 2011, 02:08 PM
    @JudyKayTee: No I do not, but there is a history in the family. Dad has High blood pressure, both grandfathers have and had diabetes... My blood tests showed that I was okay on my cholesterol, a little high, but not enough to worry (Doctor's words) and higher in the good than the bad cholesterol. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
    I don't like weight loss surgery but it's a quick fix if you're in danger. It doesn't sound like you are.

Maybe the Doctor is surgery happy.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
    Have you considered talking with either a new doctor or a nutritionist? Diet is half the battle. And if your current doctor won't help you tailor a diet for you maybe a new one will.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Are you and Solidzane the same person using 2 AMHD user names?

I see a lot of similarities between the "two" of you -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I collect a refund after 6 months that a retailer refuses to give? [ 6 Answers ]

Retailer in another state refused to refund a returned item. Misleading emails led me to believe he would refund. Never did. Now 6 months have gone by. Credit company will not refund after 90 days. Is there any legal action I can take to pursue this. It was only $29.99... but it is still my...

Can a retailer sell same goods, same shop,same time at 2 different prices? [ 9 Answers ]

Went to buy some wine glasses today. Found 2 identical boxes of same product in same shop at same time but at 2 different prices. Is this legal? Difference was about 25%

Harassing retailer [ 2 Answers ]

Been getting phonecalls everyday by shop who supplied me goods on credit,I paid 1st payment on the day of agreement,on day of delivery 6days later the shop phoned me to say delivery was on that day and also said payment due,it wasn't for 3more days.the day after rhey phoned me again I said that...

Retailer wants more money = error in billing [ 5 Answers ]

I have purchased a boat and motor package with accessories. I have paid my bill in full. The retailer has contacted me a month later saying they made a mistake adding up the bill of sale and want me to pay an extra $400.00. What are my rights? After reviewing the bill, there appears to be an...

View more questions Search