Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Oct 8, 2011, 06:09 PM
    Creating a report in Access
    Ok - I'm very rusty when it comes to creating reports in Access so I'm needing some help.

My problem is that I am trying to create a report from a bunch of data records that I export from Excel each day. The structure of the data is fairly straightforward and I really only need 2 columns worth of data to feed into my report. Here are the columns:

Create Date ContactResult

Now, this data can have 10-20 of the same ContactResult for the same day. So a ContactResult called "Transferred for Immediate Session" can occur 10-20 times on October 8. The data would have 10-20 lines for each occurrence.

On my Report, I'd like to have all of the ContactResults totaled for each day and have each day be it's own separate page. In addition, I'd like to show the counts of each ContactResult in a column on the report and the proportion that the total for each ContactResult represents

Basically, I'm trying to mimic what a pivot table does where it rolls up similar items and groups them together and then counts them. A further step is grouping them by the date that they occur on.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2011, 06:21 PM
    Assuming there is a primary key in your data, this is how I would do it.

Use the Report wizard and add the three fields in this order: CreateDate, ContactResult, Primary Key

Do grouping on CreateDate and Contact Result. Do a count on the Primary Key and summary only.

After the report is generated add footers for the two groups with the counts. Set a Page break after the date footer.

Oct 9, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Scott - thanks for your help. Your input got me going in the right direction and I'm almost 100% of the way finished with my report. Here's where I am stuck.

I got the pagefooters to work so that I can spike out my records by each day and the column totals to work which shows the totals for each ContactResult by day. At this point, what I am trying to do is create a Summary Page where it rolls up the totals by ContactResult for the entire month, not by day.

Right now my report setup is :

Page1

Date ContactResult Count
    10-8 assisted customer 5
    Routed to helpdesk 4

Page2
    Date ContactResult Count
    10-9 assisted customer 6
    Routed to helpdesk 3

I would like the Totals (summary) Page to read:

ContactResult count
    Assisted customer 11
    Routed to helpdesk 7

Do I have to create a 3rd level of grouping to do that? Or would I have to create a query and build it into the report?

Thanks, man. And is there a way that I can donate money to you for dinner and a beer?

Oct 9, 2011, 10:26 AM
    If the report only encompasses ONE month, then you can just copy the footer controls into the Report Footer. It should sum for the report.

If you are reporting on more than one month, you will need to group on Month.

If you go to our profiles, there is a Support This Member link for those who set it up. This link allows one to send a donation via PayPal if they so choose.

Oct 9, 2011, 12:21 PM
    Yes, the report encompasses one month only.

I copied the ContactResult control and the Count control into the Report Footer but it's only returning one record... the very first record from Oct 1st and nothing more.

Oct 9, 2011, 12:23 PM
    What are the control sources?

Oct 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
    The Control Source for ContactResult is the ContactResult field from the table. The Count is an expression I created that counts the ContactResults by category.

Oct 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
    I just realized I never responded to this. Can you take a screen shot of the report design and attach?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Issues creating a one to many relationtionship in Access 2010 [ 9 Answers ]

I have two tables (Clients / Quotes) and I want to create a report for each client displaying a list of quotes that has been sent to them. The 'Quotes Form' can have up to 6 clients being priced the same project with a 7th client field for the winning client. So the relationship view looks like...

Need help creating a relationship in Access 2010 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm trying to build an access db (I don't know access very well) to keep track of my rechargeable batteries (geeky I know). Here are my tables: BatteryType: Just contains the different types of batteries available Inventory: contains batterytype, serial number, purchase date, etc...

Creating a report/query in Access [ 16 Answers ]

I have an acess Database that my boss set up for me. I enter employee names what time they sign in sign out for lunch sign back in and sign out for the day... How do I make a report/or query that can give me a monthly average for each person?

Creating simple queries in Access 2007 [ 12 Answers ]

Hello there. I'm a student in Information Technology Management and am working on an assignment for Access 2007. I ran into some issues with creating my queries and cannot seem to get the right results. Can anyone help?

Creating a relationship in Access [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to link Customer Contact Information to numerous orders they have placed. I have created the relationship, but not sure on how to creat the form view to correspond the two relationships. Any insight would be very helpful.

View more questions Search