Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbhuvnesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Question on gravitational law
    Every point mass attracts every single other point mass by a force pointing along the lineintersecting both points. The force is proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them
    Where:
    F is the force between the masses,
    G is the gravitational constant,
    m1 is the first mass,
    m2 is the second mass, and
    R is the distance between the masses.
    On the other hand
    When two bodies of different mass falls under vacuum condition they will fall at same time on the ground. That means that the gravitational force acting on these two bodies is same.

Now my question is that
    According to Newton's law of gravitation the gravitational force acting on the body is directly proportional to the product of masses of the two bodies then, why didn't the body having more mass than the other falls earlier than the other which is having lighter mass then the first?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2011, 06:02 AM
    The FORCE on the bodies are different.

But what about the acceleration? Remember F = ma

And since the heavier mass object has a higher mass, the acceleration will be in such a way as to equal that of the lighter mass.

Because their acceleration is indeed equal! The gravitational field strength on both objects is the same:

and does not depend on the mass of the other object, but only that of the Earth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

By-Law Question. [ 3 Answers ]

Our organization is considering a merger with another local organization. We have two clauses that are currently in dispute with members of our organization. The first clause is the dissolution clasue which does not speak to any specific details on how to dissolve. The second clause is under...

GA legitimation law question [ 6 Answers ]

If a child is born out of wedlock in New Mexico but now lives in GA does the father have to file legitimation papers in GA. An acknowledgement of Paternity had been signed at the child's birth in NM. The parents are living together with the child, and are soon to be married. The child is 4 yrs...

Physics problem involving Newton's 2nd Law and the Gravitational Force [ 2 Answers ]

You observe an arti cial satellite orbiting the earth. You estimates it is at an altitude h = km above the earth's surface and has a mass m = 3500 kg. You wish to calculate when the satellite will be back in the same position. From the second law of motion and the gravitational force law,...

Florida Law Question [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Florida. I have a neighbor that owns a home on down the street that's going into foreclosure. Her credit's in the dumpster and she's overextended to the max. My home's clear and I enjoy a AAA credit rating. My question's this. We have been hooked up for 15 years. If we get married...

View more questions Search