Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antid0te Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 10:02 PM
    I am a salaried employee and often work 12-16 14hr days in a row with no day off.
    I am a salaried employee and often work 12-16 14hr days in a row with no day off. When I have requested a day off during the regular work week, I am told that I will have to take it unpaid or use a vacation day. This doesn't seem fair. I am beginning to burn out. Do salaried employees have no rights whatsoever?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2011, 08:00 AM
    Every State and Country have different laws, many of which are regulated by the Federal Government. Where?

Union? Employment contract?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 10, 2011, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by antid0te View Post
    I... I am told that I will have to take it unpaid or use a vacation day. ...
    Are you paid a salary by the day, by the week, by the month, or what? If, for example, you are paid by the week, the nature of the deal would suggest that it doesn't matter how many days you come to work in that week, as long as you get the job done. Your employer can't have his cake and eat it too. He or she either employs you at so much per week; or by the day or hour. That's what salary means.

Of course that all depends on the specifics of your employment contract and the labor laws in your state.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
    Do you meet the requirements for a salaried employee exemption? If not, you must be paid overtime. Additionally, if you earn a weekly salary, you must be paid for the full week if you clock any hours in that week. This is a good fact sheet and a great place to start.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcomissiong View Post
    ... This is a good fact sheet and a great place to start.
    Interesting.

"... Deductions from pay are permissible when an exempt employee: is absent from work for one or more full days for personal reasons other than sickness or disability..."

So I may have been incorrect. On the other hand, I would be surprised if this means that the employee can be made to work 7 days a week.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
    The link I provided also links to the salaried employee exemptions. They provide basically a checklist on if you qualify as a salaried employee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried employee required to work Saturdays for free [ 2 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee who regularly works 9 hours or more daily in a 5 day work week. The boss told me today that I am going to be required to work Saturdays for 4 hours, but I could not claim any time as a day or partial day because I am salaried. My contract calls for me to work 205 days a...

As a salaried employee what is the maximum hours you can work someone before compensa [ 2 Answers ]

As a salaried employee what is the maximum number of hours that an employeer can require you to work, for example 48 hours per week. If they can deduct hours for not being at work must they also compensate you if you work over lets say he 48 hrs. per week?

I am a salaried employee and if I am out sick the job wants me to make up the days? [ 1 Answers ]

I am salary employee and I take off sick from work and my employer wants me to make up these days that I was off sick. But I was under a Doctor"s care and provided a note for each days missed?

Can a salary employee be punished by unwillingly work an extra day.6th day? [ 1 Answers ]

My employer punishes all salary employees by making them work an extra day a week with no warning... is this legal?

View more questions Search