Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whizkidcat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 09:46 PM
    Dual residency?
    I was born and raised in South Dakota. I am now a resident of TX. We live part time in SD and part time in Texas and RV the rest of the year. I want to be a resident of SD. I do not work. My husband wants to remain a resident of Texas. He is medically retired and a Disabled Veteran. Is this possible?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 8, 2011, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by whizkidcat View Post
    I was born and raised in South Dakota. I am now a resident of TX. We live part time in SD and part time in Texas and RV the rest of the year. I want to be a resident of SD. I do not work. My husband wants to remain a resident of Texas. He is medically retired and a Disabled Veteran. Is this possible?
    Yes, probably.

What is the reason you want to again become a South Dakota resident?

South Dakota may have a specific statutory definition for a particular advantage of residence, but in general residence is the same as domicile.

Domicile is being physically located in a place together with the intent to make it your home permanently. So, for example, if you were a S.D. resident but at some particular time you were in Texas and thought to yourself "this is my home now and I intend to live here forever", your domicile would then have changed to Texas.

You say you are a resident of Texas. What makes you think that you are? It's not simply being there, even for an extended period.

Indicita of residence including such things as registering to vote, applying for a residential hunting, fishing, or driving license, etc. Have you done any of those things in Texas? If not, you are probably still a resident of South Dakota.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Residency? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm wondering what is dual residency? I recently decided to rent an apartment in PA for my job assignment in New York but my home is in Maryland. I'm not sure if this will be considered a PT resident in PA or dual residency? Any feedback is helpful! Thank you!

Dual residency in pa [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a township (abington) but do not want to send my daughter to that school system. She is going into her junior year of HS. The next school district over (lower moreland) is where I would like to send her. Our house has been on the market for 6 months but we have been unable to sell or...

Dual residency [ 1 Answers ]

I am a teacher. I entered the USA in August 2007 and I was exempted from income tax for two years. I changed status in August 2009 . Under the substantial presence test I am classified as a Resient alien for part of 2009 that is for the period beginning August 2009. I know that I have to file dual...

View more questions Search