Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    old home Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe
    My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California.
    I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe.
    How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of safety gear.)
    What should I replace the lead pipe with?
    Is there a better product than Oakum and shredded lead to seal the new pipe to the hubless waste pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
    "How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of safety gear.)
    Is there a better product than Oakum and shredded lead to seal the new pipe to the hubless waste pipe?"

Tear out all the lead pipe all the way back to hubless cast iron. You may then use a No-Hub Clamp, (see image) to Convert to a PVC hubless closet bend,(see image) and install a PVC closet flange. Good luck, Tom
    old home Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    "How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of safety gear.)
    Is there a better product than Oakum and shredded lead to seal the new pipe to the hubless waste pipe?"

Tear out all the lead pipe all the way back to hubless cast iron. You may then use a No-Hub Clamp, (see image) to Convert to a PVC hubless closet bend,(see image) and install a PVC closet flange. Good luck, Tom
    What do I use to seal the PVC hubless closet bend to the cast iron?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2007, 08:19 AM
    To convert to PVC from cast Iron you use a No-Hub Clamp. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1930 toilet flange / lead pipe problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a home that was built in the 1930s. I have a problem with the toilet on my first floor. When the water supply to the toilet is on water leaks through the floor to the basement below. Here are some random facts: The floor in the bathroom is original tile. The floor doesn't appear to be...

Waste pipe? Removal [ 2 Answers ]

Im not sure what I have here, but I am trying to cap it. Here's what the configuration is. My house was originally built in 1967. In my basement I have what appears to be a 2" dia. galvanized pipe protruding about 10" out of a 4-41/2" dia. iron pipe. There is a threaded coupler at the top of...

Lead pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I've bought a house in Chorlton in manchester. The house is a middle terrace and has a stop tap approximately 10 metres from the house boundary and the street. I have a builder renovating the house who informed me that there are lead pipes connecting to the water supply and he has alerted me to the...

125mm waste pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if the drainage pipes from the kitchen sink are supposed to join directly onto the same 125mm waste pipe that the toilets are also connected to? Iam in the process of refurbishing my flat and have come across such a setup. Does anyone know if this is legal? Surely there must...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search