Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Atay1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 09:36 PM
    College Struggle
    I'm in my second month of college as a freshmen and I'm feeling down and unstable. I'm at a university a few states away from my hometown and I miss my family more than ever, they've always helped support me. I never thought I'd wish to go back to my old town, because I always couldn't wait to get out of there. I've made a few new friends on campus and I meet with them somewhat regularly but I feel like I haven't met enough people that I've wanted to or been able to hang out with people I've met as much as I had hoped. I know, hearing from many people, that it's normal for students to feel out of place and struggle getting used to new surroundings at first but shouldn't I be over this by now?
    I'm struggling in my classes because of all that I'm feeling and I'm not doing anywhere near as well as I had hoped coming here. It feels like it's just, "Go to class, go eat, go back to my dorm and try to study or go to the library and try to study." I just can't seem to follow my own schedule and I lack the motivation to get my work done because I'm constantly questioning myself and feeling envious of the other kids going out every night having fun yet still somehow manage to do well in their classes. I'm afraid to fail but I don't know where to turn.
    The only times I feel happy are when I try to forget everything and enjoy the weather and nature or I'm talking to my few friends (who are not in most of my classes). Then it's back to my room to do work and I feel unhappy and unmotivated again. I just can't seem to get my homework done well and in a timely manner. High school, to me, was nowhere near as hard as this. Everything seems in chaos. I am sick of it and I want to be happy again and work hard and feel good doing it because I have goals set for my future regardless of my hazy idea of what I want to become (I'm not completely sure what I like to do that is both enjoyable and pays well). I just don't know what to do and even if I did, I don't know if I have the courage to break my old habits and change for the better.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2011, 01:58 AM
    Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you. But I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone. I'm so over school. I hate it. I'm half living out of my car because I got to school, then I'm either on campus all day (8am-10pm) or I got to school and then straight to work. I'm basically only home to sleep most nights. If I get sleep. And it's hard to find motivation to do most of my assignments (I have exactly one class I'm actually interested in and motivated to do well in).

I know none of that is really helpful to you at all. But sometimes I feel better knowing someone else feels some of what I feel. So hopefully if nothing else, you at least don't feel alone in your struggles.
    gigss Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2011, 03:01 AM
    The main problem with you is, you do not have any Aim,Goal in your life. Simply wasting your parents hard money. Please grow up your are still in d craddle. GO - PLAN YOUR FEATURE AND YOU WILL GET ENERGY.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2011, 01:03 PM
    Your issue is so common that your campus probably has a support group for it. It can be a great deal of help to know that there are others feeling just like you and having the same struggles. Try to find such a group with your campus student services.. meeting people in the same boat is nice, and you can be of motivation to each other as you continue to transition to life away from home while maintaining your grades.
    Atay1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
    Thank you all for the replies so far. It is good to know that there are other people struggling like me and that I am not alone--even though I do not want others to struggle as well. I will try to find a support group or counselor soon about this issue. I am feeling a little better now after reevaluating myself and realizing that it was because of unhapiness that I am doing so poorly. Sometimes blowing off steam and not trying to work towards your goals is what you need. I'm by no means fully happy and motivated again but I have more hope to get back on track. Justcurious55, like gigss sort of said, you need an aim that you are striving for and you have to like what you are doing in the present and have a goal for the future to feel like you have a purpose. Blowing off some steam going out, for me personally, helps a lot with boosting my confidence back up. I hope it can help you a little too. Keep them coming guys, I want to hear anything constructive. Negative or positive that can help.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2011, 05:29 AM
    Having an aim doesn't do any good if if your aim is outside of school and school is getting in the way. I don't know how this now became about me needing aim suddenly when all I did was try to comfort you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Struggle with envy [ 21 Answers ]

I wake up and go to work at a job that I hate. I live about an hour away, so it gives me al lot of time to think which is probably not good. I can't help but see the thousands of 250k+ homes and luxury cars etc. I wonder to myself even though I make a good wage there are people out there making...

Very sad over my on going struggle with getting pregnant. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Hope all of you are doing well! My name is miriam and I am new at this and I will be 35 yrs old next month. I am married to my high school sweet heart and we have three girls from 17, 12, and six. Over the last four months I have been trying to get pregnant. I had a pap in January came...

What is everyone's biggest struggle? [ 25 Answers ]

I've been working on a book for about 6 years now. Why 6 years, you ask? Is it because the book is so fantastical that it required 6 years to write it? No, it's taken me 6 years because I'm somewhat lazy and because my creativity comes in waves. But regardless, I'm getting down to the final...

My Best Friend and the struggle [ 1 Answers ]

A girl Janice and I have been best friends. We grew up together in the hard streets of Harlem, NYC.(If you want to know more about the hardness we faced look on my profile and read my previous posts) She has diabetes, a drug addict mother just like me, she's been raped just like me and we've been...

View more questions Search