Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Geno2828 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 08:02 PM
    Definitions: Felon vs. convicted felon
    What's the difference between a convicted felon and a felon?
    JoshNichols Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
    Not sure about the distinction between the two, but a felon is someone who has committed a felony (A serious crime such as aggravated assault and or battery, arson, burglary, illegal drug use/sales, grand theft, robbery, murder, rape and so on)

I would assume a convicted felon is someone who is convicted in a court of law and sentenced to prison for said crimes.

Or maybe a convicted felon is someone who is currently serving time in prison for committing a felony, and a felon is someone who has in the past, served time for committing a felony.

Not sure though, maybe someone else can confirm or fix my answer if its wrong :)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
    A felon is someone who has committed a crime, the penalty for which crime (as specified in statute) can be a year or more in prison. Such a crime is called a "felony".

A convicted felon is a felon who has been caught,and found guilty in a court of law.

Note that conviction for a felony results in loss of a felon's "civil rights", including the right to vote and to possess a firearm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a convicted felon [ 22 Answers ]

Can I go to school for a Registered Nurse or as a Pharmacist if I'm a convicted felon. I contacted the Board of Nursing and gave her my scenario and she told me that it's a case by case determination. Can someone please tell me what I should do. I don't want to go to school and take all of this...

Convicted felon marrying another convicted felon [ 2 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon marry another convicted felon? One is still in prison the other is no longer under supervised release. Both are federal cases.

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Convicted Felon [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. I would like to marry my boyfriend that is not a native or a resident of the united States. Is there a waiting period for me to file for his residency?

View more questions Search