Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confused2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Hot Water Cold Water problems
    HELP!
    In our upstairs bathroom, we have a sink, and a stand up shower.
    This afternoon, only the hot water would run from the sink faucet, but nothing would come out in the shower.

We wondered if the pipes were frozen because of the cold weather. This evening, we tried the tap and showers again. We discovered that the hot faucet would give us hot water if we ran it for a while (but it was ice cold when it first came out), cold water would still not come out. When we turned on the shower at the same time as the hot water was coming out of the taps at the sink, the water started to come out in a mid-to low trickle. As soon as we turned off the sink faucet, the shower would stop giving us water as well.

As a last observation, there is a fireplace in the next room, sharing the wall with the plumbing - the flu was left open a night or two, and the floor is VERY cold in the room. My first thought was that the cold air coming down the chimney has chilled the pipes enough to freeze the cold water...

Is this likely a cold weather problem, connected to ice? Or could it be a different plumbing issue?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 09:41 PM
    I am pretty sure that this is a weather problem. I think you have one or more frozen pipes. The oddity of turning on you tap and the water coming our the shower as a trickle is because the water in the tap builds up enough pressure to push water out of the shower. If you turn on both the hot and cold at the bathroom sink and hold a rag over the faucet to keep the water from coming out it will make a larger stream at the shower.
    The thing you need to watch for now is the fact that the pipes could have burst when the froze and as they thaw they make leak water into places you don't want water.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I've had at least 4 complaints today about water pipes freezing. Consider heat taping your exposed pipes. Click on; Heat Tape Product Info and Reviews at DoItYourself.com to check it out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water coming from cold water tap [ 15 Answers ]

Hot water is coming from 2 cold water taps and one upstairs toilet, turns to cold after 15-20 seconds, it comes out very hot. Thought it might be Bleeding through faucets, so changed laundry tub and kitchen faucett. Still does it. The cold pipes seem to get hot from near the water tank. The dip...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Cold Water work, Hot water is only a trickle [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I've had a drop in the volume of hot water that is coming through my system. It is a problem on every faucet in the house. The cold water pressure is GREAT. The house is 7 years old, and I believe that it has copper tubing throughout. I've been digging around for solutions to this for...

Hot water from cold water tap [ 7 Answers ]

We recently had a plumber in to raise the temperature in our shower. He fiddled about, turning various supply pipes on and off and then deemed he couldn't do anything as he didn't have the part. Although he is supposed to have put the system back the way it was, we now have hot water coming out of...

View more questions Search