Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpriest6523 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service
    I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main [ meter ] . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Due to the length, economics, and the availability of typical materials, I would use #4/0 aluminum 4 wire URD cable. This is a cable with 4 wires that are twisted, can be direct buried. At each end you may need to terminate in a junction box to splice and change over to #2 wire because the #4/0 is too large to fit into 100 amp breakers.

Bury the cable at least 24 inches, with 6 " sand above and below, use at least 2" PVC Sch 40 conduit to sleeve the cable if it runs under road ways, use warning tape 12 " below grade the entire length of the cable.

Use 2" PVC Sch 40 at the riser at both ends to protect the cable.
    macj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 02:27 PM

What size copper do I need for 100 amp panel 130' away? & also what size ground?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2010, 03:20 AM
    Use 3 - # 2 copper with either THHN/THWN or XHHW insulation, along with a # 6 copper green for the equipment ground.

If this is for a separate building, then there needs to be a ground rod grounding the equipment ground bar, keep the neutral separate and isolated from equipment ground.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2012, 10:50 PM
    macj... you MUST start your own thread or the answers here will be confusing to the OP or to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100 amp service vs. 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

The house I just bought was built in 1952. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with the standard screw in fuses (total amps unknown). Presently I'm doing a remodel. Adding a third bedroom & extra bathroom, washer & dryer, dishwasher, newer & larger refrigerator, bigger microwwave, probably 3 window air...

200 amp or 100 amp [ 6 Answers ]

Which is better, a 100 amp circuit box or a 200 amp circuit box?

200 amp service with a 200 amp outdoor breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to wire a 200 amp outdoor breaker enclosure.I have 4/0 scu cable for my service head to the meter,and 4/0 scu from meter to breaker enclosure.Then from the breaker enclosure I have 4/0 ser cable to my panel.What is the proper wiring method in the enclosure,please help.

200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 200 amp,underground residentual service. My ungrounded service leads will be - wire size 4/0. My question is, can I use a smaller size wire for my grounded netural?

View more questions Search