Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doctordo42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive?
    How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
    The easy way to upgrade a hard drive is to use software that can clone a drive. This program would also be useful to backup your complete hard drive.

I use is Acronis True Image. There are several other software, including freeware versions, so googling disk cloning, or disk imaging, etc. will give you some options...

Before you begin, you need to install the new hard drive as a second drive. If it is IDE, then set the new drive as slave (SL) or cable select (CS) by changing the jumper position. See here for a pretty good explanation.

Once that is done, make sure the PC sees the drive during booting. Then follow the software instructions to clone existing drive to new drive. The software will usually format and partition as necessary, so you don't need to do this before hand.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Cloning of a drives is not 100% effective in installing Operating Systems though. I have had that same idea and we did a complete clone of everything on the hard drive but there are just some files that will not copy even if you try copying them loads of times. Best idea would be : Install Your Operating System on your new and Larger Hard drive and then use A copy Wizard if you have Xp to copy all Emails and stuff over. If you don't have a copy wizard do it manually. That's my advise, Don't necessary have to do this but I think this is best. Also Install the new Hard drive as the prime drive and the old drive as a slave drive if you do go ahead to do this
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

May 20, 2007, 09:04 AM
    The most reliable software around is Ghost (Symantec). You then also might consider getting Partition Magic. When you Ghost a drive image from a smaller to larger hard drive it does not make use of the entire new and larger space. You need to open up the larger drive by creating one single partitition.
    mallu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 01:33 AM
    Replace the hardisk then enter
    adec234 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
    2 ways first cloaning for cloaning u will add new hdd to old one. Old hdd we be in master why new one we be in slave jumping. After that you will on PC and put smart installer software in cdrom, it bring option and u will on boot with cd rom support it will take you to dos promt which we bring A:>
    In that A:> type ghostpe enter
    And follow the instructon for the cloaning.
    Secondly you can install you new hdd on the PC you want to us it for after window installation u will shutdown and add your old hdd to the PC on it back the drive will be recognise by window after booting and you will start copy all your impotant file to the new one
    Bailifei Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 12:53 AM
    Clone all the data on the old disk to the new one, including the system, registry, directory, and drivers.
    So that the system can still boot from the new hard drive.
    BTW, here's a freeware that can do a good clone job. I used it upgrade my disk from 500GB to 1TB, and resized the c drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

My Question is : I have a 40gb hard drive. I have some music, and some pic's. My hard drive has 13% free. I can't believe I 'm using 29gb for that. How do I determine what to clean and how do I do it?

Pc hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

? Dose anyone know if I put a larger hard drive in my old pc can you transfer every thing from the c drive to the new dard drive and I mean everything? If so how is it done? It can't be as simple as copy and paste C drive to D drive. Thanks for ay help. Bob H

View more questions Search