Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2011, 09:15 AM
    Can I claim child tax credit, daycare fee, tuition fee and mortgage interest?
    I'm Canadian. I work in US but live in Canada. I commute to work everyday. I have two daughters: one is 11 years old and the other is 23, who is a graduate student in US. Both live with me. I filed 1040nr every year. My questions are:
    1) Can I get child tax credit and deduct daycare fee for my yonger daughter?
    2) Can I deduct tax for my daughter's tuition fee?
    3) Can I claim the mortgage interest of my house?
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 5, 2011, 09:28 AM
    1) Yes, if you claim the 11-year old as a dependent on your tax return.

2) No. That deduction is available ONLY to residents of the U.S.

3) No. The mortgage interest deduction is available ONLY to residents of the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim tax refund on previous year's VLF (vehicle license fee)? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am preparing my tax refund for 2010 and I noticed that I had not claimed VLF in my last year 2009 tax refund. So can I add 2009 and 2010 VLF amounts and claim in my 2010 tax refund? Thanks,

Claiming a dependent for tuition fee deduction on federal tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident alien working in the USA under H1B visa. I am paying the tuition fee expenses for my brother who is a F1 visa student. My brother does not earn anything (no scholarships/grants from school or other sources), and all his tuition and academic expenses are being covered by me...

Tax Deduction/Credit for wife's tuition fee on H-4 visa. [ 10 Answers ]

I am currently working in US on H1 visa. My wife (on H-4 visa) is enrolled at a university and is pursuing graduate studies. Can I claim Lifetime Learning Credit or tuition fee deduction for the fee that I paid last year? Also, do I need form 1098-T from the university to do that? My wife...

H1B Tuition Fee ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can anybody give me an answer to this question pleaseee.. Here is my situation time line - I came here in US. In 2000 (F1), Graduated undergrad in Dec 2005 - Got an OPT on Jan 2006 - Start working with my first company - Got H1B on Oct 2006 from my first company - Quit and move to...

Tuition fee and Tax for F1(CPT) [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a postgraduate student under F1 visa and working fulltime for CPT(Curricular Practical Training). I wanted to file 2006 tax return but not sure whether to include the tuition fee or not. Am I eligible to include my tuition fee in the federal tax return?

View more questions Search