Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meagansweet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Waterproofing/Tiling Our New Shower Stall
    Hi There,

My husband and I are tiling our new custom built shower stall with Subway tile and we have been told 2 different things to do... can someone offer a tie breaker solution for us. Some people tell us that we must use the Orange Membrane (often seen on Holmes on Holmes) sold at Home Depot (for hundreds of dollars), to further water proof our Shower Stall Walls. Others say that the concrete board we have used is sufficient and we don't need anything further as the tile mastic is waterproof enough. My husband and I are worried (after all our hard work) that our shower walls will leak or get water damaged if we do not use the VERY PRICEY orange membrane product. We are happy with just using the concrete board backer if this is sufficient... we do not feel the need to go above and beyond if it is NOT necessary. Are we fine to lay our tiles directly onto the concrete board? Our Tile Guy said he would use AcrylPro to adhere the tiles to the wall. Is this the best solution or should he seal up the seams with a thinset mortar first?
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 05:48 PM
    I would use the waterproofing membrane on the walls.

Your tiler though should be able to advise what is best but in my opinion the tile mastic is not sufficient as waterproofing.

I must tell you though that I come from Australia where building codes and common practices are most likely different to where you are from!
    meagansweet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Thanks for the advice, although this is not the answer I was hoping for as it just means more $$$$. Arghh! Thank you though. I appreciate your opinion.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Feb 5, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Is the cement backer board up already?

If not, you can put poly sheeting on first, overlapping the edge of the tub and then the board. You also need to tape the seams between the cement board pieces with alkali-resistant fiberglass tape and thinset. Be sure to use a powdered thinset rather than anything premixed.

Sorry, but another question. Are you talking about Redguard or Ditra? Did you do the shower pan, etc, or are you just doing the tiling?
    supercoop62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I want to tile part of my existing shower stall at the bottom half aprox. About 3 or 4 feet from the shower base. The drain area is sound, What steps do I take to waterproof the walls and srounding lower half from water leakage.
    The lower part that I retile will be a different pattern and design, to make motre attractive looking
    Thanks for help
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Sep 23, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by meagansweet
    Hi There,

My husband and I are tiling our new custom built shower stall with Subway tile and we have been told 2 different things to do....can someone offer a tie breaker solution for us. Some people tell us that we must use the Orange Membrane (often seen on Holmes on Holmes) sold at Home Depot (for hundreds of dollars), to further water proof our Shower Stall Walls. Others say that the concrete board we have used is sufficient and we don't need anything further as the tile mastic is waterproof enough. My husband and I are worried (after all our hard work) that our shower walls will leak or get water damaged if we do not use the VERY PRICEY orange membrane product. We are happy with just using the concrete board backer if this is sufficient...we do not feel the need to go above and beyond if it is NOT necessary. Are we fine to lay our tiles directly onto the concrete board? Our Tile Guy said he would use AcrylPro to adhere the tiles to the wall. Is this the best solution or should he seal up the seams with a thinset mortar first?
    Meagan,
    Use a single pre-molded shower pan with drain center hole. The base will have a top 1/2" lip. The wall covering overlaps the lip before tiling. The most economical installation using a ferro cement board (Wonderboard, Hardiboard, etc.) as a wall surround is easiest with a Quickset pre-mix filler. This is done to create a level scratch coat surface at joints and corners. After the scratch coat is cured and smoothed out, trowel on an even mastic sealer adhesive layer for setting the tile into the mastic. Let that set as per the manufacturer recommended curing time before using a final grout between the tiles.

If you are using an acrylic type scratch coat for sealer and adhesive, some tilers will fill the tile spaces at the same time. This can make cleanup difficult as if the tile is not set first, it will move if not set properly. The cement surround will be impervious to leaks if done adequately. Even if polysheet is used behind the boards on the wall and a leak or sweating does occur, the polysheet will still force water to migrate to below the pan floor. Surface finish sealing is most important to make sure a grout seal is properly cured and maintained. Nm
    QAEIA Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Aug 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
    You can also use Roofing Felt to provide a Water Proof seal behind your backer board. Just make sure you overlap it by at least a quarter and if you are still worried use some Roofing cement to "glue" the felt together. It's a LOT cheaper than the membrane.

Aug 30, 2008, 08:48 PM
    I agree if you have a leftover roll of felt on hand, otherwise 6 mil polysheet costs less than purchasing a roll of 15 lb felt. Hope this helps. Nm
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The cement board is impervious to water. Seal joints with thin set and nylon tape and you will be fine. The tile and grout will repel water, the cement board will not absorb any water that should get through a grout joint. Wasn't long ago that we were using drywall as a backerboard, now we are using impervious cement board and someone wants to add a plastic liner behind that. What's next, waterproofing the plastic.

As far a Holmes on Homes and other TV shows, remember that these are TV productions, put out for you entertainment, not necessarly you education. Some are about as realistic as the reality shows and the old time westerns. Guess who sponsers the production, the same people who make the expensive orange stuff.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Harold is correct, you do not need any membrane at all if you used cement board, wonderboard or Hardibacker board, etc... The orange stoff at Home Depot is for flooring on concrete. Concrete floors will always crack and the orange stuff allows a very small amount of slip to absorb the cracks movement, not needed for a shower stall. Use modified thinset to set your tiles. I also recommend a epoxy stain proof grout.
    toolguyny Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Sep 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
    No extra membranes, plastic, roofing felt or otherwise is necessary by any means, the backboard IS your waterproof membrane, its mildew and mold resistant and water isn't going through tile... if its thourghly grouted properly and the grout is then sealed at least twice with "grout sealer" no water will ever make it even to the backerboard, let alone behind that.
    TimberCreek Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
    As long as you used "green board" sheet rock, all you would need behind the hardi-backer or mortar bed would be 15lb felt paper. Over lap it at least 6 inches. Make sure it overlaps the membrane that you used to waterproof the shower pan also.
    DBJake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 10:42 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of what's said here. I've taken out too many poorly built shower and tub surrounds, and even ones that have been built seemingly well. They've all had water problems. Granted, some are minor, but the point is, they're still not totally waterproof. First: ceramic tile is impermiable to water, natural stone is not though. Second, grout is porous and even if you seal it over and over again it's going to allow water to get through eventually (I will agree that ceramic tile plus epoxy grout is a great solution). I agree that the new backer boards are great and you should NEVER put green board in a shower or tub area. But even those backer boards will accept water eventually and allow it to travel through. Yes, they won't mold and they'll hold up, but they are not a "membrane". That said, the orange membrane you're talking about that is made by Kerdi-Schluter is a great product. Yes, it's not super cheap, but it works great and is truly a membrane. The other option is to use what used to be only commercially available but now you can get at Home Depot. It's a paint on membrane, elastomeric. You paint/roll on several thick coats on top of your backerboard, then tile right on top of it. It's waterproof and flexible enough to withstand movement. Again, you're dealing with water here and that sort of damage is too expensive to risk it. Do it right the first time or you'll pay even more for it in the long run.

Sep 25, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DBJake View Post
    That said, the orange membrane you're talking about that is made by Kerdi-Schluter is a great product. Yes, it's not super cheap, but it works great and is truly a membrane. The other option is to use what used to be only commercially available but now you can get at Home Depot. It's a paint on membrane, elastomeric. You paint/roll on several thick coats on top of your backerboard, then tile right on top of it. It's waterproof and flexible enough to withstand movement. Again, you're dealing with water here and that sort of damage is too expensive to risk it. Do it right the first time or you'll pay even more for it in the long run.
    Thank you DBJake,

All the pro's that have made their statements in this thread about how "it's done" probably have not done enough remodels to see what moisture infiltration can damage over a period regardless of many manufacturer's claims about their product methods. As mentioned in post #7 February 2007, I have commented almost the same thing you are stating. I did not mention that the Quickset product was a waterproofing polymer coating that is similar to the elastomeric membrane that you mention. The major difference being that the polymer Quickset is troweled onto the backer surface prior to waterproof mastic cementing of the tile.
    One thing that I might add is that most grout sealing products are not permanent and need re-coating periodically, especially if the existing grout is cleaned with caustic chemicals.

I have a secret method of using a 100% Silicone rubber coating over the newly cured
    Grout that most tilers have never tried because the product has not been promoted for such use. (Dow Corning is the sole manufacturer and the inventor of Silicone rubber that was first used in AeroSpace applications as far back as 1963 for sealing and attachment of electronic components.) There are grouted countertops I have sealed over 20 years ago that are still intact to this day. The backing edges were also sealed with GE RTV32 silicone rubber compound without any signs of water leakage.

Quality products with careful application will always be the key to a secure and lasting installation as DBJake states. nmwirez
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 12:13 PM
    DBjake and nmwirez...

DBJAKE said, "The other option is to use what used to be only commercially available but now you can get at Home Depot. It's a paint on membrane, elastomeric. You paint/roll on several thick coats on top of your backerboard, then tile right on top of it. It's waterproof and flexible enough to withstand movement"...

It's exactly how I do it... ;) Like you guys are suggesting... cement board is NOT water-proof... only water-resistant and over time water does penetrate and can break cement board down creating home for mold to grow, etc...

I have noticed that most people simply will not go to the extra expense or time needed to roll this stuff on... but as a contractor that has to guarantee all my shower installations I never fail to use!

In fact, it's when I bring up the water-proof membrane that I notice most of my customers raise an eyebrow and a... knowone else mentioned that stuff... ;) that I seem to close the deal and get the job!

I also notice that everyone does things differently... just that I am a big fan of doing it same as you guys!

Good job guys!

MARK
    ralphherge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Wonderboard and mesh tape are fine set in latex thinset works well, put plastic behind it or felt into the pan. The Holmes way is a great application method, but many would consider it overkill, the orange stuff does prevent tile shifting and cracking if there are other issues. Remember new wood studs can shrink causing separation at joints. It always pays to do a job right, especially when you are the final consumer.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 14, 2009, 01:31 PM

I have done enough. If you want a good install job, do it right.

Ditra is that "orange stuff" your were speaking about. It is good. Kerdi shower kit is very good. When you know a product is used by people who have installed enough, then you know you will get good results.

Look up the kerdi shower video.
    robertisquires Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Very interesting reading. Thank you all. Now here's what I would like to get away with while I have the time over Thanksgiving :-). We took off the white plastic sheeting that was on the shower already and just have drywall behind the shower. I don't want to add backerboard to the drywall because it will raise the surface by approximately 3/4 inch--too far into the small bathtub, and it would cause a troublesome lip at the back wall. So here's my suggested solution--seal the drywall with paint on membrane, elastomeric; place the Ditra on top an tile on top of that. Does that seem reasonable? I can also try an epoxy grout. (It just won't be possible to take out the dry wall and go from the ground up although I appreciatethathis is preferable. Thanks, Robert
    livin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 07:33 PM
    I make a great living fixing these showers you hacks install, so keep using felt, trash bags, poly. Moisture DOES penetrate grout joints, and cement board DOES retain water. I've been using Kerdi membrane on shower walls for years. The stuff works! You get what you pay for. What's the cost of redoing the shower in ten years? How the health issues from the black mold growing in your walls because you didn't want to spend the extra $200 bucks. I see it every day!
    Hemlock50 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2009, 08:53 AM

Interesting thread that makes you start to wonder what to believe. I just had my bathroom re-modeled & have ceramic tile surrounding the tub.
    For some reason, I have this thought in my head that at some point moisture/water is going to get through the grout somewhere. Was thinking about using some clear GE silicone II over the grout to seal it even further. Was wondering what the thoughts are about doing this(good or bad) from the guys who do this for a living.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower stall [ 1 Answers ]

Can we raise a shower stall to put plumbing underneath it

Shower stall need height of controls and shower head [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Am building a shower and require the height of the taps and the shower head

Tiling over an exsisting concrete shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and Happy New Year, Here is our problem. We remodeled a bathroom and tiled the shower walls and floor. The exsisting shower base was painted concrete. We sanded the concrete, then tiled,using a grout with latex. A couple weeks after, we noticed tile and grout coming up. When we...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Shower stall base [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a house with an unfinished half bath. The shower base was not installed. There is a cast iron pipe coming up through the slab.there is a drain leaded into the pipe with a flange and a liner that is cut off,and a threaded 2" drain screwed into it,it has been there a long time and I...

View more questions Search