Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle_o_mouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2004, 12:10 PM
    Bankruptcy (Chapter 7) Do it yourself?
    Hello all, newbie here. Here's my 'story' and I have several questions...

I am a single mom with a ton of debt. Thankfully, NONE of this is credit cards or the like. It is 80% medical bills, and the other 20% is unpaid utilities and bank fees from overdraft accounts. I have called several of the 'debt consolidation' places, pofit and non-profit. Some won't even talk to me because I have no credit card debt. The others want some sort of 2-300 dollar payment up front (This raises red flags.)

Family and friends have advised me that right now, chapter 7 bankruptcy is my best bet.

I work at a job that pays just a little over minimum wage, and don't get child support from my ex. When you add up all my income and expenses, I am barely scraping by. I have no extra money for emergencies, much less anything to try to pay off any of these debts with. Even if I sent each one a few bucks every month, I would be middle aged before it would all be paid off!

Back in February, I bought a brand new car, with the help of my grandparents. They gave me enough money to put half of the car's cost down as a downpayment. My grandfather is the primary owner, I'm secondary and make the payments. Would I be in danger of losing the car if I filed chapter 7?

Lawyers want upwards of 800 bucks to file, Legal Aid won't help me at all because I live with my parents and they have to count their income too... which brings me to my internet research on 'do it yourself bankruptcy'. I found one place that claims to do the whole enchilada for a little over 200 bucks. Another place offers software for 35 bucks or so, etc.

Have any of you done bankruptcy yourself? How dependable, trustworthy are these companies that claim to help you do it without a lawyer? And is it really successful?

I have read a lot of posts in here where several of you have advised each other not to file bankruptcy... What other options are there for me? I've recently become engaged and would like to buy a home with my future husband someday.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I appreciate any help I can get.

Michelle
    rdhead420 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2004, 11:29 PM
    If you need free legal aid, first of all, you don't actually have to state that you live with your parents. You still have a dependent, whom is raised on your wages, so that might help in that area. I have also gone through Garden State Debt Consolidation, and even though they are out of state, they helped me and they are non profit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chapter 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I just made my last payment on my chapter 13 bankruptcy. I am waiting my discharge papers. I was told that I will still have to pay an attorney or interest to my mortgage company. Is this true?

Chapter 13 bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

May Have To Do A Chapetr 13 To Safe My House I Have Spoken To A Lawyer About All This But What Gets Me Is I Still Have To Pay My 1500.00 Morg Which I Just Can't Do And That's What Got Me Into This Mess In The First Place. We Have Been In This House 10 Years Now And Did A Refi 4 Years Ago.it...

Chapter 13 [ 2 Answers ]

Thank for the info,but will I be able to get a refi since I'm 4 months Behind and there calling every day telling me their going to foreclose? Last month I tried and there seamed to have many bumps in the road Because of this.my new place asked if I was in forecloser because it came Up,but I...

Mechanic Liens and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a mechanics lien is discharged in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy or does it make the lien holder a securred creditor? We are in NJ but I don't know if location has anything to do with it when a national retailer is involved. Difficult question but I need to know a proper answer not a...

Filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Approximately how long does it take once you've filled out the bankruptcy forms does it take to file? Does it depend on the State you live in or the court schedule?

View more questions Search