Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AleksFrazzle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
    Removing color and restoring health
    I have very curly hair. I once bleached it to platinum and it was healthy; well I wanted to go burgundy and when I did it my hair turned black. So I tried to restore health first with deep conditioners and olive oil treatments and then I tried this recipe for vitamin c and shampoo mix it stripped it pretty well turned the dark color into a caramel color then I conditioned it and then did the mixture again and it took more out to a dark red orange. So I conditioned for two days straight; I bought this l'oreal effasol color remover and did that just yesterday. Let me tell you it burned so bad that I could only leave it on for 5 minutes when the least recommended time was 50 min. When I rinsed my hair was dry that it didn't move. So I used this keratin deep conditioner and made a honey,mayo,olive oil,yogurt,egg, and mixed in some deep conditioner and my hair is a lot better but not exactly wonderful. So anyway I am dying my hair silver white based; I wanted to know what to do to make and keep my hair healthy and soft as well as remove the color, my hair now is a light strawberry blond with white highlights in it. I got some quick blue bleach and 20 vol crème developer but I only want to Have to bleach TWICE at the MOST. What should I do? I can't handle the damage! Thank you
    Lanist57 Posts: 31, Reputation: 8

Oct 10, 2011, 05:40 AM
    First, what is your NATURAL color (the color that grows out of your head without any color/bleach)? That will make a difference in the results. Also, if you can live with the strawberry blonde color for another 3-4 weeks, DO! Your hair has been through too much processing, and it needs a break. So does your scalp! I certainly recommend you see a professional for any more color and a thorough conditioning. Your hair is "sick" and you would see a doctor if your body was as sick as your hair is now. Hair may break off and grow back, but if you cause that kind of damage to your scalp, you could damage the follicles and cause permanent damage and/or hair loss) However, since I have a feeling you are going to self-treat, here's what I recommend (I am a professional hairstylist). Go buy some good, salon quality shampoo and conditioner, and also a great deep conditioner. For your super curly and damaged hair, I would suggest you shampoo only every other or every 3 days with a gentle or repairing shampoo. You may condition your hair in between the shampoos if needed, or just on days you shampoo. Once a week, use a deep conditioner meant to help treat damaged hair. Redken is a well-known and easy to find brand that won't kill your budget. Start with Redken Extreme shampoo and Extreme conditioner, and use Redken Extreme Strength Builder or Extreme Rescue Force once a week to help keep your hair healthy. After your first round of Extreme, you could switch to Redken All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner. It's a great blend for long-term health of your hair. If you can find the It's a 10 product line near you, I'd recommend that instead. AFTER you have saved your scalp and hair health, you may proceed with color. Once again, I would suggest a professional, but if you do it yourself, do not try to go more than 3 levels lighter or darker by yourself in one sitting. Bleach on hair removes proteins, damages the cuticle (The cuticle should lie flat on the hair, but is roughed up by bleaching process), and requires you keep up with good product to maintain your hairs' health. Please do not fall victim to Pantene. It may make hair shiny and feel nice SHORT TERM, but it is coating your hair with a waxy buildup which actually does more damage in the long run by "suffocating" the hair from being able to absorb natural oils and moisture.
    AleksFrazzle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
    Thank you very much. I purchased some really good conditioners and one with keratin. And have left my hair alone; it's a lot healthier feeling and looking. My natural color is a light golden blonde with white, red, black, and silver highlights. Sounds weird but it was. I'll keep doing what you said and give my hair a long deserved rest. Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing hair color [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I recently dyed my hair, and recently means three days ago, and I don't like my hair color. My natural hair color is light brown and I just wanted to darken it a little, well it turned out black. I wanted to know if there are any tips on how to get it to lighten or to get the color away without...

DANGER : Removing stack pipe may be hazzardous to your health! [ 2 Answers ]

Please do not take this lightly; about ten years ago I had a close friend who was killed by a falling stack. Read this post : Posted by lazypup ([email protected]) :( Seeking advice for removing cast iron ventpipe - Plumbing Forum - GardenWeb Any attempt at cutting and removing a section of...

Removing Hair Color [ 2 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair walmart box dark brown/black for a couple months now and I want to go back to my natural hair color which is a dirty blonde/golden brown. I don't have the money to go to a salon so I am going to do it myself. What hair color removal should I use? Or should I just try and dye...

Removing Color to Go Gray [ 1 Answers ]

I appreciate that this forum is available. I have looked in many places but can't seem to get where I need to be. Here is my dilemma. My natural hair color is dark brown and white and gray... I really don't know too much for sure because I have been using permanent hair color for 20 or so years,...

View more questions Search