Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progtick Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 08:34 AM
    State tax for Ohio for foreign capital gain and foreign earned interest on the amount
    Does one have to pay state tax on foreign capital gain and foreign interest that was earned during that year?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 12:48 PM
    Yes. Like the IRS, Ohio takes the world-wide income of all of its residents.

Ohio taxes capital gains (foreign or domestic) and interest (foreign or domestic) as ordinary income.

Now, if you are a non-resident, then only income earned while working IN Ohio is subject to Ohio income tax.
    progtick Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 08:53 PM
    @AtlantaExpert, at what rate?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 4, 2011, 05:38 AM
    Ohio's income tax has nine tax brackets that range from 0.587% to 5.95%, depending on your income level. The top bracket kicks in at $200K income. Several municipalities also levy their own income tax, so depending where you live you may have to pay that as well.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 4, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Thanks, ebaines!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign earned income and New York state tax [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if my 2007 bonus should be considered as New York source income or not or should it be all foreign earned income. 1. I worked in NYC from 1/2007-5/2007, then moved to work in UK since then. 2. My 2007 bonus was paid in 2008 and was on 2008 W-2, and some NY state tax was...

Foreign Earned Income & Bank Interest [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am checking this for my married friends who are US citizens. They have been filing their foreign earned income jointly (Form 2555EZ) with the bona fide status since 2007. 1. One of the couple changed job last year so does he need to file 2 separate forms of 2555EZ for each employer's...

Tax on Foreign Earned Income - NRO [ 5 Answers ]

I am a resident alien and I have a NRO certificate of deposit in India. If I understand correctly I need to report interest income earned in India also. 30% tax is already being deducted at source by the Indian bank on the interest I earn in India. Do I have to pay taxes in US too ? Or can...

Taxation in USA for interest earned in foreign countries [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to declare interest earned with USA tax filing if you earned this in a foreign country and already paid taxes in that country?

State Taxes on Foreign Earned Income [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live and work in the Caribbean. We are US citizens and maintain a permanent home in Georgia (where we lived prior to moving to the Caribbean). Our federal tax return allows an income and expenses exemption, up to a specified amount. Apparently, Georgia doesn't allow this...

View more questions Search