Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksmith26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Excel has stopped allowing me to double click a file and open it.
    MS Excel has stopped allowing me to double clk a file to open. I have to open Excel, then find the file and double click it. This began after I tried the Open Office program and uninstalled it.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 2, 2011, 05:32 PM
    In Windows Explorer:

1) Right-click on an Excel File and select Open With > Choose Program
    2) Select Microsoft Excel from the list above
    3) Put a check in [x] Always use the selected program to open this kind of file

Oct 4, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Tried your fix. Didn't work. Get message "windows cannot find"... and it quotes path and file name.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2011, 04:20 PM
    JB's solution should work. The message indicates you may not have done it right. Or that Excel has been uninstalled. What version of Office do you have? When you right click and select Open With is Excel listed?

Oct 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    JB's solution should work. The message indicates you may not have done it right. Or that Excel has been uninstalled. what version of Office do you have? When you right click and select Open With is Excel listed?
    Wwhen I right clk and select Open With, Excel is listed.
    I am using Office 2003.
    I did exactly as you advised: open Windows Explorer, Find an Excel file that
    I wanted to open, right clk, select open with Excel, check Always open with this ;program. I wonder: back before this started, I downloaded Open Office. Didn't like it so Uninstalled. That's when problem began.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
    And you are saying that after you did this, it wouldn't automatically open with Excel? It makes sense that Open Offce changed your associations but what I suggested should have changed them back.

Oct 8, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    And you are saying that after you did this, it wouldn't automatically open with Excel? It makes sense that Open Offce changed your associations but what I suggested should have changed them back.
    ScottGem: tried your suggestions:still doesn't work. The ExcelRepair asked me to insert the orig Office 2003 cd because it could not find a specific file. Did so, it installed ?something? But still doesn't work.
    You asked what the excel file name was. It is ANY of my Excel files. Doesn't matter which, none work like they should. Any other thoughts?

Jul 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Thanks. It did work after I re-installed a 2nd time. Guess I should not have dl OpenOffice. Thanks again
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Whenever you install power programs, be sure to go through all the CUSTOM settings during installation. Somewhere along the line you'll see settings regarding changing the default programs based on certain file extensions. Go through that section with a fine-tooth comb and set them the way YOU want.

The program will want to take over every file type it can, usually NOT what the user wants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My laptop's touchpad mouse/cursor is not allowing me to double click to enter icons [ 4 Answers ]

What happened and how to fix it? I can, however, use left click button and enter, but it is annoying! Please help me? :)

Can't open folders with double click [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I try to open a folder up pops the command prompt and I can't open my folder. I have to right click and then click open in the drop down menu to open my folders. My files open fine, but my folders won't. Can anyone steer me to the right setting?

Open with when double click drive [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, When I double clicked any of my drive. It show "open with". Is it because of virus? Well I scanned my computer twice with mcaffee and symentac but nothing happened. Using window xp professional and recently formatted. When I plugged my pendrive it also shows the same window "open...

To Open my C drive by double click [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was not able to open my hard drives C: & D: in My computer window. I hope It may be because of some virus attack. I can open by writing C:\ in the address bar. Please advise how to restore It to the normal state.

Drives doesn't open when you double click [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My problem is when I double click on my drives it directly goes to openwith window . N the only way that I could open my drive is to right click on my drive and then give open . Some tell its because of virus . But can anyone solve this problem so that it will be helpful. But when I...

View more questions Search