Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tatata Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Cash is a financial asset, what is its respective financial liability/ equity?
    According to IFRS "Financial Instrument is any contract that gives rise to a financial asset of one entity and a financial liability or equity interest of another entity"

E.g. For notes receivable as a financial asset, we have respective notes payable from another company as a financial liability. How about cash as a financial asset? What is its respective financial liability/ equity?

I am very confused with this question. Thanks!
    ABCDEFG HIGFKLM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 08:27 PM
    I supposed they mean that a Financial Instrument is a contract that generates a financial asset in one entity and a fiancial liability or Equity in another. Cash is a financia asset, but not a financial instrument. The contract exchanges cash now from entity 1 now and forces Entity 2 to deliver cash later (plus a penalty - interest) or distribute it as dividend or residual interest (Equity). In the end I understand that the exchange of cash (a financial asset) for a liability (debtinstriment) or equity is performed via a contract that somehow promisses to return the monies or participation in the net incomes, and that this contract is called a Financial Instrument. I also guess that "Bonds" really is not per se a liability, but a contract. It is a liability to the issuig party, but an asset to the acquiring entity. Cash was the primordial financial asset, exchanged not for a product or service, but to be returned with interest. In the case of equity, cash is exchanged to claim a piece of all future incomes... I guess...
    ABCDEFG HIGFKLM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 08:33 PM
    CAsh is a financial asset, not a financial instrument.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an Asset, Liability, and Owners' Equity [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me if the following are asset, liability, owners' equity, revenue, expense, gain, loss and if they are on a balance sheet or income statement Accumulated depreciation Long term debt Equipment Loss on sale of short term investments Net income Merchandise inventory Other accrued...

Financial accounting(sale of fixed asset) [ 1 Answers ]

A corporation fiscal year begins January 1 and ends December 31.On January 1,2001 this corporation purchased a machine for $11,000.00.It's estimated life is 10 years and the depreciation method being utilized is straight line.Please give the proper entries for the following situations;entries must...

My name is on the deed but not the mortgage. What's my financial liability? [ 8 Answers ]

My ex and I own a house out of state. He is on the mortgage. I am not on the mortgage BUT I am on the deed. Our marital settlement allows us to sell the home which I want to do and he doesn't. What are my liabilites with my name being on the deed and not on the mortgage? Do I have any...

Asset, liability, equity [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find: Equity Dec 2009 ,when this is what you are given: December 31, 2008 Assets 46,000 Liabilities 37,720 December 31, 2009 Assets 49,000 Liabilities ?

View more questions Search