Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHoneyVintage View Post
    if you go on some of these online dating sites in the forums ... that's the reality of the circumstances right there from males in the dating world; they don't want you :(
    I sure hope you don't think dating sites are the only way to find dates and that is the be-all, end-all of dating! There are a lot of real men out there without preconceived notions of what a woman should be.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
    if you go on some of these online dating sites in the forums and things the reality set in that majority of these men don't even want women that never have experience with relationships. to them it is red flags if you're single and never married over 30 or so. I think a person can think positive all they want, but that's the reality of the circumstances right there from males in the dating world; they don't want you :(
    And there's that negative thinking creeping in again... if you think you are unworthy and no one wants you then you'll give off that vibe and then it will become your reality. But if you're confident and you can love yourself, that's what will shine through.

And as for internet dating... while it works for some, like wondergirl said, it is not everything. In my opinion, it's much better to meet someone doing something you like, like joining a book club, cooking class, at the gym, something like that.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 05:11 PM
    This is a post from another thread you made about FaceBook. I think it has some information in it that has a good deal of bearing on your sexual issues. I am wondering why you haven't mentioned having Asperger Syndrome (and anxiety disorder) in this thread.

ty you tal for the suggestions. personally i don't see how anyone is being social at the home depot or grocery stores, when I go there I shop and leave. But OK. Cat:It was the original catapult why I wanted to start using F.B. found out he was on there and thought 'maybe I should join' then realized I know of other people I used to be friends with that are on there as well. I have Asperger Syndrome and like I said anxiety disorder. Frankly don't have an interest in finding new friends; if I got on F.B. I was sure some people I knew would pop up and that would've been fine. Since I decide I wasn't going to contact him at all, no point joining to talk to old people from my life, b/c I don't friends anyways. Used to have friends and dropped them all, too many troubles trying to navigate social interactions, IMO. Tired of going through it; everyone is all into these social networking and doing this and that. I don't understand connecting with others for 'enjoyment' so not going to bother trying anymore. Prefer do things on my own, then no hassles. That's how I see it. Again thanks though for advice.

Edit: When I said 'connecting with others for enjoyment purposes' that came out wrong. What I meant was connecting with others and having social obligations. I don't know why I ever thought I could get in that loop & function in the first place. It was a stupid idea. Ok ty.
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Oct 3, 2011, 05:32 PM
    Wonder & just curious -- but not to be rude but IMO that is complete and utter B.S. that 'just think positive' and 'feel confident!' and guys will love that. Yea, right! How do I know? Because I tried it most of my life and it did absolutely nothing for me. Nothing. I was walking around like an idiot thinking if I thought I was all right, so would someone else. Yea suuuure. There's a lot of sad, fat girls with bad skin sitting at home wanting dates with these men and they're 'nice' too. LOL. IMO it's not about being a 'good person' anymore if you're a woman and don't look really good and have lot of experience dating and in bed -- they will just pass on you. I don't understand why peoples on here continue to deny this :( I took a cooking class to 'meet men' way back when and all I got out of it was a cooking class. Guys don't talk to me in those things and never have. They don't approaches me probably because I am not a 9 or a 10 or even an 8. WHERE is the other places to meet men? If they don't talk to you where do it matter what places you go? I use go bars and clubs w/ my gf's and got passed over for them in those places too. Made me feel like garbage so I stopped going.

Cat I didn't mention asperger and anxiety because I didn't think it was relevant. Just diagnosed a few weeks ago with Aspergers and anxiety disorder since 2 years ago. You see the males list all the time they don't want 'head cases' or girls with 'mental problems' so that's another strike! If you have mental disorders and not 'cute' as a girl, (I am average) than you're a lost cause. So I feels I have 2 options: learn to live alone and like it or commit suicide if I can't take fact I am never going to find partners. That's how I see it.

Oct 3, 2011, 05:33 PM
    **I'm not going on F.B. to talk to that guy. No point, I'm not 'dating material' anyway so why bother.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 05:44 PM
    I took a cooking class to 'meet men' way back when and all I got out of it was a cooking class. Guys don't talk to me in those things and never have.
    Did you talk to any of them?
    I didn't mention asperger and anxiety because I didn't think it was relevant.
    They are extremely relevant! I am married to a man with Asperger's. His father had it. Our son is autistic (different type called hyperlexia). All three of them are the only people walking around in their world. They don't believe it's of any use to talk with anyone else. Add anxiety into the mix, and now I understand you a lot better.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 4, 2011, 05:40 AM
    I have very fat friends, spotty friends, a brother in law with a really bad squint, two friends with aspergers (two young brothers that I worked with during their schooling), disabled friends, a friend with PTSD, OCD, epilepsy and anxiety issues. They have all managed to have valuable relationships. My own daughter has CFS, Fibromyalgia and, due to medications and forced inactivity, has become very overweight. She has been with her lovely boyfriend for 4 years - despite the fact she spends half the week too ill to leave her bed and the rest hobbling around just about functioning.

I'm not saying it is easy. But it isn't impossible. Someone wise on here once said try the Walmart test. Go sit outside Walmart and watch the array of couples of all shapes, sizes, and personalities coming out. Many wouldn't fit the 'ideal partner' picture, yet still they found someone to be happy with.

As for being experienced in bed - I would want a guy to get to know me as a person before he even thought about asking that question.

Where to meet men? Everywhere! I talk to new people every day; wherever I happen to meet them. I do realise the Aspergers and anxiety are going to make it a lot harder. My two young friends both met new people, including young ladies they dated, at computer classes. I think the reason this worked for them is because they were really interested in the classes and in talking to other people about their interest. They didn't go to meet people; they met people who shared their interest once there.

Try to think of things that you would really enjoy doing for yourself and be open to meeting new people while doing it. Above all stop thinking that you aren't worth getting to know.

You have told us quite a bit about yourself. Now I am sorry if this is going to sound harsh: There is only one thing I would find wouldn't attract me to getting to know you; and that is your negativity. I would have to feel like working hard to get past that. But the great news is the one thing really holding you back is the thing you do have the power to change.

Oct 4, 2011, 01:35 PM
    Wondergirl no I didn't talk to any of the males in the cooking class. How? Other girls was talking to the 3 that was in there and I didn't know what to say, didn't want to butt in so I just kept quiet. Usually that's what happen when other women around the men ignores me like I'm not there. If they interested they would've talk to me like they did the other girls right? How do your husband act? What's his ways like? Why and how did you marry him if he have aspergers? Most of the people's with aspergers don't even know how to date or get dates, like me :/ I'm not the type to go up and just strike up a conversation with some guy, yea right! Most time if you're not really attractive or w/e the guys don't want you talking to them or hitting on them anyway.

QLP even though that's supposed to make me feel better it made me feel bad, sigh. All those people you know with disabilities and mental problems all found someone. That is good for them by the way, but look at them and then me I never even been on one date nor asked on one before :( If a man interested in a woman he will approach her and ask for a date, so obviously they aren't interested. I seen my old female friends easily get bf's and asked on dates etc. which have never happened to me. I don't understand people and communicate with them. I don't see how I'm to think positive when never had any positive results. Just because I go to these shopping centers like walmart don't mean guys talk to me, they never have. It's true what you said though the couples that's out and about aren't 'perfect' looking or anything like that. Some of the things I like to do is shopping, cooking, movies, listening music and reading books, knitting. That's really it; most my activities I like I do by myself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
    Wondergirl... How do your husband act? what's his ways like? why and how did you marry him if he have aspergers?
    He and I went to different colleges and worked part-time at a YMCA in their cafeteria. He was behind the steam table handing out vegetables and potatoes, while I was around the corner of the steam table in charge of beverages and desserts. Since we were near each other and the same age, we would chat between customers. He lived at home with his family, and his house was near my college, so he offered to drive me home after work at 9 p.m. so I didn't have to spend money to take a cab. Our first date was hiking at a state park one Saturday. I got to carry his camera bags and equipment while he took pictures of leaves and chipmunks. Our second date was to a movie and McDonald's. He liked me because I didn't cost much money.

He is a nice person and moral and honest. We found things to talk about, so we got married. Back then, we had no idea what Asperger's is; we figured that out about two years ago to explain the way he thinks and behaves (social misfit, poor eye contact, rigid thinker, hates change, has a narrow range of interests, has set routines, is clumsy).
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 5, 2011, 03:44 AM
    Firstly, if you are giving out, 'go away' signals through anxiety and negativity that will stop people talking to you. It's no good deciding to think more positively after you get good results; you have to try and think positive to get the good results. Just because it didn't happen until now does't mean it can't.

You like knitting. Imagine if you had thought, 'that is too hard, I have never done it, therefore I will never be able to knit.' Ditto cooking, reading, etc. You had to learn how. But first you had to be willing to learn and believe it was possible.

If we want to see something different happen to us we have to change something we are doing. How about looking around for something you could volunteer to help out with? Maybe you could use your cooking skills to help out with some kind of food programme for the needy. I don't know if you have 'meals on wheels' where you live for the elderly? If not, how about soup kitchens or something similar? Or the YMCA like WG? Or maybe you could use your love of reading to help out in a local school or library, listening to children read.

Oct 5, 2011, 08:45 AM
    TY wondergirl for sharing your story how you met your husband. Even though you don't think it was much, it was a really nice love story & make me wonder if I can meet someone too on day (even though it seem unlikely ever happen). The way you describe his behaviors is how I am too. It seem if you're a guy and have these 'traits' then you can still get a girlfriend, but if you're a girl and have them and have to wait for guys to ask you out, it is never going to happen. I wonder why you would be attracted to those 'traits?' in a man.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 5, 2011, 08:53 AM
    i wonder why you would be attracted to those 'traits?' in a man.
    He has many "normal" good traits (and you do too!). I guess the thing to do is find someone who will look beyond the stimming and lack of eye contact to uncover those good traits which are more valuable than good looks or being a social butterfly. He is very smart (I bet you are too), has several areas of special interest (photography and repairing things -- what are yours?), cannot lie, will never cheat on me (cheating is not how his brain operates), and doesn't tell me what to do or how to do it.

Now, tell me about your good traits.

Oct 5, 2011, 01:38 PM
    QLP -- how I can not give out 'go away' signals then? Sometime when you try make eye contact with men they look away or pretend your not there :( then what? Well, be realistic if I never had a date by this time obviously I am not good enough to get one. I'm sorry that is just the reality of it & it sound like B.S. putting it any other way. Yes, there's 'meals on wheels' here and yes there's a library reading program: what you think that is going to do for me and getting men? Sigh. What's volunteering going to do? I will go to these places and no one will talk to me except maybe the girls like what always happens. I been to college and no guys ask me out then either only hit on me in bars a few times and it was all sex related.

Wondergirl -- your husband sound like somebody nice to be with :) you're lucky at least you finds a mate. Not to be rude: but he is not affectionate right? From what I gather most of the males out there do not want girls who are not into affection and sex. Which I can understand, so that makes me feel like a 'freak.'even though you said the guy have to get to know you first, within first 3 months they usually want sex, that's the reality... I don't have a lot of good traits. I like reading and being myself. I like to listen to people problems and I like cooking. I like antiques. That's really it :(

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 5, 2011, 01:49 PM
    No, he's not huggy-kissy, but he does all the grocery shopping, keeps the vehicles clean and in good repair, fixes anything around the house that gets broken, and makes sure our five cats are happy. Isn't that kind of love good enough?

Actually, HHV, it sounds like you have some very interesting traits. Maybe it's time to start looking for guys in better places, looking for guys who like what you like and who think like you do.

Did you ever read any books by Temple Grandin?

Oct 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
    I never read any books by Temple Grandin nor heard of her. Looked her up on Goodreads.com and she got a lot of books, but which one is the best? I seen a bookclub at the library I wanted to join it's all women in it; that's not going to help meet men at the library. They go to the library when I'm there but none of them talks to me, we just get books, that's it... I think your husband qualities are worth being with him I guess. You must not care he is not 'touchy feely' then? There is no places to meet men besides public places I been going to and like I said they don't talk to me anyway.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2011, 09:42 AM
    I strongly encourage you to join the book discussion group. It will help you a bit with social skills and getting outside your own skin. (That's what my husband has tried to do [with my help ;)] during his lifetime.)

Hmmmm, start with Grandin's book Thinking In Pictures. She has Asperger's, has a Ph.D. in animal science, and has helped the livestock industry rebuild and reconfigure at least 60% of their slaughterhouses so there is no cruelty to animals who are to be killed for food. She has an affinity to animals (as do many people with Asperger's). She is my personal hero and is a contributing editor/columnist for an autism/Asperger's magazine that I have been published in twice.

Now, do me a favor. Get your mind off meeting men. Forget that for now. Think about just enjoying life. "How can I enjoy each day? What can I do to be happy each day?"

Stick around. I have specific ideas for you to try.

Oct 7, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Well I am tired of concentrating on 'how can I be happy everyday?' its nothing but a distraction the fact I am alone and will probably always be alone. I would rather learn how to deal with that. I willcheck out the temple grandin book.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2011, 08:21 AM
    well i am tired of concentrating on 'how can i be happy everyday?' its nothing but a distraction the fact i am alone and will probably always be alone. i would rather learn how to deal with that. i willcheck out the temple grandin book.
    Sometimes we don't find things until we stop looking for them. So maybe taking a break from trying to deliberately be happy is exactly what you need. Good luck. I wish you the best and I hope you stick around and let us know how things are going :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 7, 2011, 08:50 PM
    By "enjoying yourself," I mean do the things you know you like to do -- read (and join that book discussion group?), listen to people's problems (answer questions here on this site? You're a thoughtful person and might give a new perspective to someone), try out some new recipes (you said you like to cook), and learn more about antiques (pick a specialty, like old toys, and check out some library books that are descriptive and price guides.

Speaking of antiques and collectibles, my mom is 87 and wants to get a good price on her Gorham sterling silverware. Maybe you could help me figure out some things about how she should do this.

Oct 9, 2011, 01:44 AM
    That's what everyone say: oh just stop looking and things will happen. YEA RIGHT. I am 31 never been on date even, nothing is going to happen pretty sure of that since it never have. Tired of sitting around pretending I am going to find someone when it's obvious its NOT EVER going to happen :( this whole world is bullsh*t. plain and simple. Some people destined to die alone because not everyone can have what they want in this world...

Wondergirl your mom is going to have to look if there's any markings on the silverware. Is it yellowed or in what kind of condition? Also look for the pattern styles on Ebay. Any other info on it? I am trying out new recipes in a cookbook I got for Christmas. I keep thinking about book club but too much of a chicken and loser to actually join it and go. Just another thing like to try but don't do it because of anxiety disorder. Just a bunch of things in life I will never be able to do. Life not worth living if that's the case. Ty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

MIL too intrusive. [ 4 Answers ]

I just seriously need some outsider advice on my relationship with my MIL. For nine years we have butted heads and my husband has been the between for all theses years. From the day that I met her she has not liked me. Now together we have four children how do we work around having her see the kids...

Violating probation [ 1 Answers ]

"i was convicted of first degree burglary in 2005 and placed on a 5 year probation. While in school, I was in a physical altercation and resisting arrest has been put on my record. I was never convicted of violating probation. I was to request the felony be dropped and eventually expunged. Is this...

Intrusive mental voice [ 6 Answers ]

So I don't know what's going on with me. I have a huge lack of appetite, lack of interest. When I approach a meal or any food I get nauseous. And all of this started when I saw a talk show where a lesbian was saying that she enjoyed hitting on straight women, and that every woman has had the desire...

Intrusive In Laws [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and hope to gather some good advice in order to stay sane. I have some in law problems. My husband and I got married 4 months ago, we live with his family. I do not have any family in the US, only my husband. The problem I have is with my husbands' mother and...

Violating Probation in ct [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! My boyfriend was arrested in 1998 on a drug charge. He was sentence to 7years in jail. He only did 18months in jail and the let him go in 2000 but he had to report to a probation office. He never reported to probation. He left ct and want to New York. He ran from probation for 8years. He got...

View more questions Search