Ask
    WEBBERJWM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Can not run programs
    I cannot use any of my programs. They all have lnk at the end of them
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2007, 08:00 AM
    If the file is lnk, then its not the program, that a link (shortcut) to the program.

What version of Windows? What happens when you click on the links?

WE need more info.

Feb 4, 2007, 05:54 PM
    I am running windows xp service pack 2
    When I click on the links nothing happens
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Then they may be pointing to the wrong place. Right click and select Properties. Then check the Target and see if it's the right file. Also try running programs from the Start menu instead of desktop shortcuts.

You might also check for viruses, I vaguely recall a virus that disabled shortcuts.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 5, 2007, 08:02 AM
    That sounds like a virus, I had before.

What happens is when any executable file is clicked (such as .exe, bat, com, etc.), the virus copies itself as the file and renames the original with a "~" in front of the filename. (i.e. program.exe becomes ~program.exe), then nothing happens. Check your "my documents" folder. I think that is where you will find the renamed programs.

I researched this like mad, and tried everything, registry editing, spyware removal, etc. couldn't get rid of it. Ended-up re-formatting the HD and installed my backup image

Unfortunately this happened over a year ago, and I have forgotten how to diagnose it. :(

Feb 5, 2007, 10:20 AM
    That sounds exactly what mine is doing. I can't open any programs. Not even my documents.
    Thanks for the help. But will end up wiping out my hd and reinstalling windows,
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
    If you backup certain files before wiping out the hard drive, make sure your not backing up the virus too... Since the virus is disguised as that certain file.

As an example, I had some drivers and applications that I keep on the hard drive for quick installation. I found that the "setup.exe" in all of them was actually the virus, thanks to NOD32.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must Have/Useful Programs [ 66 Answers ]

I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me...

Unknown Programs [ 6 Answers ]

I have a program on my computer called ScheduledAgent and I am not sure what it is. I have looked on the internet via Google and there is mixed results. I am slightly concerned as several results suggest it must be removed immediately. Am I right to be concerned? Also is there any other way of...

Moving Programs [ 4 Answers ]

How do I move programs from local disc C to local disc G

Programs won't run, files won't open [ 4 Answers ]

Good evening. I have been having trouble with my Windows XP and it has gotten so bad I rarely use my profile. All other profiles (3 more for the family) work just fine. Only mine is messed up. None of the programs will run and I can't open files. The background is there and the first menu will...

Programs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a free download that will help me find all the programs on my computer and remove the old, duplicate, or unused ones safely

View more questions Search