Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Motomo74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 08:03 AM
    What information am I entitled to?
    About 2 months ago, I was involved in an incident with a co-worker where she cornered me in my cubicle, verbally assaulted me and was about to physically assault me when our boss stepped in to physically remove her from the room. We went through a meeting with HR where they focused on finding a "peaceful resolution" to this issue. To me, the only solution was for her to be fired. But to my knowledge, she was not reprimanded at all for what she did. Do I have a right to know what, if any, disciplinary action was taken against her? I am fearful for my job and my physical safety as she also threatened me.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
    Did you report any subsequent threats she made to you? Have you expressed your fear of her to the HR department? Is she a coworker or a supervisor of yours? Has she done this to other employees at your company before or since your incident?
    A little more information is needed here please.

Sep 28, 2011, 09:42 AM
    She is my co-worker with the same title and position as mine. We had an official meeting at HR with two HR officers, me, my boss, and my co-worker. In that meeting I expressed my fear for my personal safety because of her threats, which she denied. The meeting ended with the HR people saying that they believe she and I can resolve this conflict between each other peacefully so that we can work together. Nothing else to my knowledge has been done. The resolution and peace came because I stay quiet and act like nothing is wrong so she does not lash out at me again. And no, she has not done this to anyone else in our office. Although she does have a history of losing her temper over the phone and hanging up on people. I am very frightened of saying anything to anyone because she will only make things worse for me. She knows now that she can get away with treating me this way.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
    You do not have a legal right to know what steps your employer has taken to remedy the situation, however I think you have a reasonable expectation of your employer to be open with you about what they are doing about it.

I would tell HR you feel the company has not taken satisfactory action to protect your physical safety around this individual. I would also contact the police file a report of this person making threats against you.

HR will probably not like that, but bringing in the police may result in them taking your claims more seriously. The company may decide you are the problem and let you go as the resolution to the situation.

Sep 28, 2011, 10:39 AM
    She has not made any threats to me since the incident back in July. I believe she is smart enough to realize that she got away with doing something very stupid and she will not make that mistake again. At least that is what I am hoping. But as it was so long ago, I don't believe filing a police report now would be effective. I guess I am just stunned that she was not fired. If it happens again I will most definitely files charges with the local police. I just wish there was something I could do to protect myself now.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
    You can't protect yourself now. The only thing you can do at this point is steer clear of her. She'll slip up again and maybe this time will actually hit you THEN you can file charges against her and she may just be arrested and carted off. In the meantime try to just be your usual pleasant self to everyone, her included and hope for the best.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2011, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Motomo74 View Post
    She has not made any threats to me since the incident back in July. I believe she is smart enough to realize that she got away with doing something very stupid and she will not make that mistake again. At least that is what I am hoping. But as it was so long ago, I don't believe filing a police report now would be effective. I guess I am just stunned that she was not fired. If it happens again I will most definitely files charges with the local police. I just wish there was something I could do to protect myself now.
    If she had no prior history and was a productive worker, I'm not surprised she wasn't fired. Even if no direct action was taken, I'm sure the incident was included in her employment record. So its likely she is smart enough not to repeat the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I entitled to anything? [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived together in Ontario Canada for 5 years. The house we live in is in his name and he pays the mortgage. However I pay for the phone and long distance, the TV, the Internet, the water bill and half the groceries. I have paid for several renovation projects, painting, new light...

What am I entitled to if my mother had no will [ 8 Answers ]

My brother is the only person listed on the house after my mother passed last year. I live here and pay all house expenses, utilities, taxes and insurance. He recently filed for bankruptcy and now they say I have to pay rent also. If I decide to move and we sell the house... will all the money go...

Am I entitled to redundancy? [ 12 Answers ]

After 10 years' of two-days-a-week employment on a permanent contract the company I was working for cut my working hours and salary by half. Unable to continue on half the salary, they found me another (full-time) job within the company. This job was a 9-month fixed maternity cover contract and I...

What he is entitled to [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my mother inlaw has been divorced for about 23yrs... she has been with her new partner for about 20yrs... she recently passed away. Her will says that the house belongs entirely to her boys. My question, is her partner entitled to half the house although her will says no. Please note that we...

Am I entitled to rent? [ 11 Answers ]

I had a house I co-owned with a friend. I bought his half and the house is now in my name only and my wife and I are living there. My friend and I had agreed that we would get an appraisal and I would then pay him an amount equal to half the equity. He would then sign a quit claim deed, signing the...

View more questions Search