Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nobody067 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 12:09 AM
    How much atenolol can I take?
    I take 25 mg of atenolol in the morning and 25 mg at night and my heart rate gets down to 52. I am wondering,if I took about 15-20 25 mg tablets at one time,would my heart rate drop down to 0? Could it cause me to faint and not wake up?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 28, 2011, 12:31 AM
    Symptoms of overdose are due to excessive pharmacodynamic actions on β1 and also β2-receptors. These include bradycardia, severe hypotension with shock, acute heart failure, hypoglycemia and bronchospastic reactions. Treatment is largely symptomatic. Hospitalization and intensive monitoring is indicated. In early cases emesis can be induced. Activated charcoal is useful to absorb the drug. Atropine will counteract bradycardia, glucagon helps with hypoglycemia, dobutamine can be given against hypotension and the inhalation of a β2-mimetic as hexoprenalin or salbutamol will terminate bronchospasms. Blood or plasma atenolol concentrations may be measured to confirm a diagnosis of poisoning in hospitalized patients or to assist in a medicolegal death investigation. Plasma levels are usually less than 3 mg/L during therapeutic administration, but can range from 3–30 mg/L in overdose victims.
    Source: Atenolol - Overdose
    wauya Posts: 93, Reputation: -5

Oct 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
    No,Even you took the whole 20 tablets,your heart will not stop directly or right the way.Why?Let me tell you.Atenolol is one kind of nomslective beta-adrenergic recepter blocking agent.That mean it block the action of beta-adrenergic agent it including beta1 and beta2 action.beta-ad action are keep the heart rate,heart museles strength and restrict the blood vessel and keep the blood pressure.It also work on other organ;lung,gi tract urinary tract.If block this effect the heart will slow down the vessel will dilate but the heart will not completely stop because other adrenergic recepter still open such as alfa 1 and alfa 2 and dopamin all those adrenergic action will keep the heart still beating.Beta blocker toxicity patient will have a lot of suffering.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2011, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wauya View Post
    No,Even you took the whole 20 tablets,your heart will not stop directly or right the way.Why?Let me tell you.Atenolol is one kind of nomslective beta-adrenergic recepter blocking agent.That mean it block the action of beta-adrenergic agent it including beta1 and beta2 action.beta-ad action are keep the heart rate,heart museles strenght and restrict the blood vessel and keep the blood pressure.It also work on other organ;lung,gi tract urinary tract.If block this effect the heart will slow down the vessel will dilate but the heart will not completely stop because other adrenergic recepter still open such as alfa 1 and alfa 2 and dopamin all those adrenergic action will keep the heart still beating.Beta blocker toxicity patient will have a lot of suffering.

Atenolol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - once again.
    wauya Posts: 93, Reputation: -5

Oct 13, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Hi nobody may I ask why you ask this question?Can you tell us more about you,We really want to share.We may help you if we can;medical problems,emotional problems just try us.thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
    Why are you taking this medication at this time, what illness are you treating ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I may have overdose on Atenolol [ 5 Answers ]

I took 5 20mg of Atenolol. Should I be concerned of a possible OD?

Overdose of atenolol? [ 1 Answers ]

24hrs later and I'm still alive I overdosed on atenolol, 100mgs all 10 of them an I need to know the side affects to come...

View more questions Search