Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RichN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 12:06 AM
    Buying a short-sale property with tenants
    Hi! We've put in an offer on a short sale property as a rental investment, and am currently waiting on bank approval.

There currently are tenants in the house six months into a one year lease. I actually consider this a good thing - it means no downtime in income while looking for a tenant.

The rent is a bit under market rate, and includes lawn maintenance. I was hoping to increase the rent a bit, and remove the lawn care inclusion, but from searching on various websites it appears I'd be on the hook to honor the existing lease to the end.

Could anyone refer me to the actual California statute that discusses tenant rights during short sales? Also, what are the obligations on the current owner regarding the tenant's security deposit?

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2011, 03:26 AM
    I'm not sure why you even question this. A lease is a contract. When you buy a property, short sale or otherwise, you take on all the obligations of the seller. That's standard contract law.

The only difference between a short sale and any other sale is that the lienholder agrees to accept less than the full balance of the loan on the property. The buyer's obligations are not affected by it.

You have to honor the current lease, no question about it. The owner is required to turn over the security deposit, this is done at the closing. However, it may be a matter of negotiation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need advice on buying a short sale and prior liens on the property. [ 6 Answers ]

I am buying a home as a short sale. When I went to sign the papers, they told me it had a lien on it. How can the lien be removed the owners don't have any money and the guy called, and they said they would not remove the lien. How can I get it off so I can buy this house?

Buying a short sale house [ 1 Answers ]

I bid on a short sale house in June 2009 and received a call from them after 10 months of waiting to go ahead buy the house but after we did the appraisal the house is no longer worth what they are selling for. It was appraised for less than 50k so, we made a bid again for the amount of the...

Tenants trashed short sale home [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I are buying our first home, and put in an offer on a short sale in April. At the time the house was being rented to the owners daughter and was well cared for. We just got notice that our bid is viable and in phase 2 so we went to see the home again. The landscaping is dead with 4...

Tenants in a Short Sale trying to buy [ 3 Answers ]

Tenants in a Short Sale trying to buy We are the Tenants of a unit that is up for a Short Sale. We put an all cash bid down. We need help with the Terms of the continued occupancy during the sale process. 1) Our lease ends on 6/10/09 2) The Trustee owes $378k 3) Notice of foreclosure was...

View more questions Search