Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Summary
    This movie's biggest problem, commercially, was ineffective marketing. To this day, there are people I talk to about this movie who still think it is a zombie flick.

If it were a zombie movie, I wouldn't be inclined to pay the $12 for more of the same, but, this was a horror movie of a different sort - one that can, and according to the experts, will come true.
    Ultra Member

Spoiler Alert
    The scenario played out in this movie was based on the Nipah Virus. The first outbreak of this nasty disease was discovered in 1999 with Malaysian pig farmers.

Nipah is a zoonotic virus, (transmitted from animals to humans), it begins in the fruit bat, and the hypothesis is that pigs end up eating fruit chewed on by infected fruit bats. The pigs go to slaughter and enters the food chain.

There have been a total of 13 outbreaks of this virus, all in south Asia, since 1999. While the global pandemic depicted in the movie has not occurred, just about everything that happens in the flick is scientifically plausible, which makes the story so much more frightening.

The symptoms include anything from flu-like all the way up to encephalitis and coma. 20% of those that survive the virus have residual complications like personality changes and neurological defects.

Worse still, the fatality rate in south Asia has been from 40% to 75%, depending on medical and monitoring resources. 4 to 7 out of 10 people who contracted it, died.
    Ultra Member

Should you see it?
    Consider I told you a virus was spreading around the world and about 30 to 40 percent of the people who came down with the virus died? What would happen to our society?

Think about that scenario. Imagine hospitals swamped. Hysteria. Looting. Basic city services ending. Fires. No one going to work. Home from school. No food. No clean water.

What would you do? Go see the movie and see for yourself.

Directed with technical and artistic efficiency, acted with precision by a fantastic cast, Contagion is on my top 10 list of Oscar-worthy films of 2010, and, right now, my favorite for Best Picture.

Go see it while it's still in theaters. You won't be disappointed, and you might end up going to the survivalist store the next day to stock up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie Review: Drive [ 1 Answers ]

The plot centers on a very quiet and intense movie stunt driver, mechanic and occasional getaway driver played by Ryan Gosling. His best friend, in Bryan Cranston's beautifully-acted character, owns a repair shop and always seems to be on the wrong end of every deal in life. Befriending a...

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read [ 0 Answers ]

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read

We Want a Movie Review Website. In North Carolina [ 8 Answers ]

This is basically a fun business prospect for my fiancé and I. We're huge movie fans and would literally see every movie coming out if we could. Not to mention the constant rentals we go through... we range from B-flicks to Z-flicks. But, personally we despise movie critics in general. They...

Movie review needed [ 3 Answers ]

Hey has anyone seen Surf's Up or Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer... I'm tired of paying expensive prices for movies that suck.

Freedom to Facism movie review [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone see this movie yet? Can anyone give a review of this movie? Do you have any thoughts on this? Dear Readers: "Oh, my, I had no idea!"

View more questions Search