Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reedknight Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Really bad clog, sewage smell
    Hello, my name is RA and I have a bad clog in my shower. The drainage was slow and now it won't even drain at all. I have been using a "pipe snake" to try to unclog it and I cannot find where the trap is. There seems to be no end on it, kind of like a straight pipe and I don't know where the water goes. I have peeped down the pipe with a flashlight and noticed that the pipe has a lot of hard water deposit clinging to the walls of the pipe. There aren't any clogs anywhere else in the house so I think that there is only this one. I dropped a piece of reebar? Down the pipe to see if I could feel where the trap was, but still can't. The pipe snake won't go very far either (only to the bottom of the trap). SO I poured a bottle of CLR (limeaway) down the pipe and a couple of cups of some Drano.
    Now I have a smell coming out of the pipe that wasn't there before. It smells kind of like sewage. It is probably rotten hair or something but now I can't get rid of the Drano mix. I used a plunger on the drain the other day and this is where the drain stopped draining at all. SO I guess my question is "How do I get this drain to drain again."
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 3, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Let me get this straight: are you saying that the pipe seems to be going STRAIGHT DOWN endlessly, like if it were to keep going it would end up in China? Or does it curve sideways, just you can't find the trap anywhere after the curve?

Feb 3, 2007, 09:45 PM
    I Can't find where the trap bends there is no hole or bend in the pipe there might be but I can't feel it with the reebar

Feb 3, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Im sure it curves somewhere but I can't find where it does the metal I'm using hits the bottom like it ends and I try to feel the walls of the pipe to find out where it goes (left or right) but feels like there is solid pipe on all sides

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I recently hired someone to tile my bathroom floors. They ripped out the toilet, tiled, and then resealed the toilet. Now there is a sewage smell that has been lingering for the past few weeks. The guy came and re-sealed the toilet- no luck. There have also been 3 other plumbers that have come...

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

Sewage Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the...

View more questions Search