Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2011, 03:45 AM
    Controlling Yellowjackets
    Yesterday, my bicycle club ran its annual event ride. An event ride, for those that don't know, is a large scale ride with hundreds of participants. Generally such rides have multiple routes with different mileages and include rest stops where food, liquids and facilities are available for participants.

The food generally consists of stuff like fruit (bananas, oranges), trail mix, cookies. Drink is generally powdered sport drinks in large coolers.

The problem is this all attracts yellow jackets in hordes. This year was worse than other years (not sure why). But there were dozens of them hanging around the food tables. We had at least 4 stings at the rest stop I worked at.

So I'm asking for any suggestions on ways to control this. Is there anything we can do short of putting a bubble around the food, to keep them away?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 26, 2011, 06:46 AM
    Scott, we are having the same issue up here as well. Have you guys thought about putting the fake hornets nests around the food stations? Hornets are the yellow jackets natural enemy and when they see the fake nest they usually take off.

My mother will take apiece of fruit and stick a skewer through it and put a pan of water underneath the fruit (melons work best), the wasps will gorge and then sink to their demise!

They also have wasp traps, but you can make your own. I use a 2L pop bottle. I cut the top off and invert it into the bottle (does that make sense?) and put some water and grenadine in it. They land and can't get out and they usually drown.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2011, 08:13 AM
    I thought about traps. You reminded me of the 2L bottle trick. We'll have to try that. We have tried putting a tray of sweets away from the people and letting them have that, but they don't want to stay there. I'm afraid though, our LI insects will be too smart for it.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
    They are attracted to bright colours as well as the smell of the foods. You can buy the fake hornet nests at the dollarama. I swear by them. I have several around my camp. They look like chinese lanterns. Good luck with the traps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Controlling Boyfriend! [ 56 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! It has been a very long time since I have posted on this site! You can check back on this particular relationship from previous posts. Anyway, I have been in this relationship with a guy that I love for 15 months and counting!! (yayayaya) He is older (14 years but acts as...

What should I do? Is he controlling? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay, well me and my boyfriend have been dating for 9 months now. About a month ago, he started giving me these rules. Like; No texing other guys. No talking to other guys. No hugging other guys. I have to agree with everything he says. Think he is controlling? But those are the only things that...

Am I Being Controlling? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife of almost 17 years says she isn't in love with me anymore and hasn't been for the last 6 months... which then became the last year... then the last 2 years, last 3, now the last 5 years. She always seems to say this after a period of 2-3 days of being sweet and kind to me (tells me she...

Is he controlling. [ 2 Answers ]

wheb we first started dating everything was fine. later on into the relationship he told me i looked better without make-up, so i stopped wearing it. if i ever wear it he gets mad. if i wear a low-cut shirt he makes me wear a jacket and says im showing off my boobs to everyone. what does this...

Is he controlling? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have been talking to this guy and we have been thinking about becoming a couple. But I think that he is too controlling. He always wants to be where I am and he gets jealous when I tell him that I am hanging out with other friends. We recently had a fight because I told him that I was coming...

View more questions Search