Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2004, 05:39 PM
    Porch eroding away
    My home is about 10 years old and the front porch is on a slope. Currently, there is no retaining wall (which I plan to add). Due to erosion over the past few years, the porch has begun to sink, pulling the molding away about 1/4 of an inch away from the brick above the door. You can see under the porch that there is several inches of air.

How can I get concrete under the porch? Will that solve the problem? Will it expand and make things worse? Has anybody had this problem before?

There are several companies in the area that drill holes and inject concrete to lift, but I want to know if there is something I can do myself before spending a lot of money

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2004, 07:59 PM
    You could stabilize things by drilling a hole and pouring in concrete yourself. You could also try prying or jacking up the slab yourself.

If it ends up breaking, rip the whole thing out and pour a new slab. You can rent an electric jackhammer. Then form it up and have a redi-mix truck come. Concrete isn't all that expensive if you do the work yourself. Might figure the cost, and get a quote from the drill and lift people. No sense spending more money to do it the hard way. I hire very little work on my house or car, but sometimes it is the best choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sleep porch wirering [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 90 foot run to wire from my house to a sleep shack. If I run 2 12/2 wires this distance will it loose power. Also can I use a grounding stake by the sleep shack or should I just stay with the main? Thanks

Front Porch needs boards replaced [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My front porch needs some boards replaced. The previous owner did a quickie repair job on some rotted wood. We have 2 pillars and on the outside front corner they sawed the decking at the pillar base so now we need to hire someone to jack up the roof and replace the boards underneath. ...

Any Ideas For Porch Skirting? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. We are trying to decide what would look good as a skirting for our front porch. It previously had plain wood lattice and that has been removed. We have looked at vinyl lattice but would prefer something more solid. Has anyone had experience with stone (faux) veneer? Can't find a source for it....

Hampton Bay Porch Light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay light that has curved glass and I need to know where I can purchase the glass.

Repair under front porch [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a five year old house that has a concrete front porch. The porch is only eight inches in height above the lead up sidewalk/walkway from the driveway (hope that makes sense) The builder who built the home did not put any concrete steps up to the porch Because of the only 8 inch...

View more questions Search