Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yveted Posts: 37, Reputation: 0
    -

Sep 26, 2011, 12:13 AM
    How would you feel.
    To all you fathers with daughters, how would you feel if your daughter was on the cheer Or drill team? What do you think about all those guys looking at her cheering and or dancing in a skimpy outfit? If your daughter is a cheerleader or on a drill team how do you feel about it?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2011, 12:20 AM
    That would be their choice if they wanted to be on a cheer team. As far as outfits are concerned would not even think about it.
    jaxoba Posts: 8, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 26, 2011, 01:55 AM
    I will respect the choice of the child, the child they have their own ideas, if they are good, we can support him, of course, if you feel bad, tell them don't that, then if my daughter is a cheerleader, I would support her.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2011, 01:56 AM
    Skimpy outfits are something to worry about when they are in the wrong place. When the others are wearing the same uniform at an event that is part of the customs of the society you are in, even the other parents aren't concerned. Do you worry when she wears a bathing suit at a beach or pool?

And I'm neither male nor a parent. I'm just giving a perspective that's other than a typical male lust response.
    udaysz Posts: 13, Reputation: 5

Sep 26, 2011, 07:06 AM
    Every person in this world has the authority to make his own choice. The choices you make resembles your individuality. If the choice we make completely satisfies us in my opinion there is nothing wrong in your choice because its your life and you have complete right on it. Of course as a parent you have a right to show a path for your child but you can't force her to move through it...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2011, 07:18 AM
    I have a funny feeling my daughter would balk at some of the outfits as well. She likes to taken seriously as a person, not as an object.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 26, 2011, 09:33 AM
    When I was 14 I joined the drill team. We had to wear the short skits and the tight tops. I always felt uncomfortable in those uniforms, and I remember the comments we used to get from the boys at the school. I remember going to an outing with the drill team and we had to wear our uniforms, we were staying at a hotel when an older man came up to us leering and circling us like a hyena. I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. I wish I (all women) could wear what I (we) want, and not be thought of as an object, but like NK's daughter, I like to be thought of as a person. I quit when my drill teacher told us it wouldn't hurt the competition to wear padded bras with our uniforms. My father was never comfortable with the uniforms, he begged my mother to tell me I wasn't allowed. But like many other paretns, she felt it was my choice. And it was my choice to quit as well.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 26, 2011, 06:01 PM
    Here is the thing. You need to remember that its your house and your rules. So if the uniforms are outside the boundries then mention it. Express your feelings. It may be that something is acceptable only because of the silence. If it oversteps your boundries then stand up for them. Don't become a pushover just because other parents allow it.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 05:59 AM
    I would respect her choice unless the outfit was extremely out of bounds which I doubt to be the case in a high school or even college.

There are men (and women) who will leer at young girls no matter how they dress or where they are.
    You can't totally protect anyone , try to teach them how to handle difficult situations themselves because that is what it will boil down to.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 06:12 AM
    My daughter is on a cheer team. I am very proud of her as she has commanded respect and authority in her school. She also has been offered some very nice scholarships to college due to her participation on the cheer team. The most recent was last night and it was a full ride scholarship. Unfortunately, she is not interested in that college or any of their programs.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 06:24 AM
    You can get a full scholarship for being a cheerleader? I did not know that.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Yes, in many states Cheerleading is considered a sport. It's actually one of the most dangerous sports.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 06:30 AM
    In Canada we only have academic scholarships so that's why this is news for me.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 06:32 AM
    Really? You don't have sport scholarships like for hockey or anything?

My girl has been offered several scholarships so far this fall. Some for academics and some for cheer. She's just not sure she wants to continue with the drama that cheer brings. You know what working with a bunch of women is like! :eek:
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 06:34 AM
    We do have sport scholarships, but I think they are called something else, and believe me, you have to be darn good at the sport to qualify.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 06:38 AM
    You have to be darn good to qualify here as well.

Her full ride scholarship was offered from Olivet Nazarene University but it's a religious university and she doesn't feel comfortable going there as she is of a different belief than they are.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    We do have sport scholarships, but I think they are called something else, and believe me, you have to be darn good at the sport to qualify.
    I stand corrected: Canadian Interuniversity Sport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 06:47 AM
    So, back to the OP since I rudely hijacked...

I'm very proud to have my daughter as a cheerleader. I don't see many men/boys leering at her, but looking at her as a person with school spirit, loyalty and responsibility.

To be a cheerleader in most places includes not only the skimpy outfit, but must maintain a high GPA.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    So, back to the OP since I rudely hijacked....
    Easy now...
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 06:49 AM
    I don't want "you know who" on my back. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughters who hate thir fathers [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 16 yr old daughter who was spoiled rotten by me who is now a manipulative, selfish, demanding teen who lierally "hates me" any advice for her father?

Not sure how to feel about daughters dishonest boyfriend. [ 16 Answers ]

My 21 yr old daughter has been dating a guy for 4 1/2 years now. He's been a pretty good kid so far but they recently broke up because she found out he had cheated on her in some way. He said he knew it was wrong because it made him feel sick and that's how he knew my daughter is the one he wanted...

Can I change my daughters last name from the fathers to mine without his permission? [ 13 Answers ]

If me and my Daughter's father wasn't married can I legally change her last name without his permission? He's an absent father,he doesn't pay child support and never comes to see her. I don't want her having his last name anymore! He doesn't deserve it!:mad:

Ex-wife moving w daughters, fathers rights? [ 2 Answers ]

My brothers ex-wife is moving to the west coast from the east coast & plans to take their 2 daughters ages 11 & 13 with her. The reason for the move is she is getting re-married. They have joint custody but primary living custody is with their mom. They currently live 2miles from their dad & he...

View more questions Search