Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DKMTR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Paying off old collections
    My husband and I are purchasing a new home and when my husband's credit report was pulled he owed several small collection amounts. For us to get the better interest rate on our mortgage he needs to raise his FICO score by 10 points. Will paying off all those small amounts in full differ from settling it for a smaller amount?

Does settling differ from paying in full score wise?

Thanks in Advance.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 4, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Settling is different from paying in full. Some collection agencies will indicate on your credit report "Settled" some will indicate "Paid in Full."

Lenders do not want to see "Settled" on a credit report, because it shows that the potential borrower doesn't always repay their loans.

Regardless of whether your husband pays in full or settles, it is going to be a negative factor on his credit report. I recommend he do one or the other as soon as possible.
    bretb Posts: 32, Reputation: 8

Feb 7, 2007, 10:59 PM
    Try to DISPUTE them first. They may just go away.

Then, if there are any that don't, work out a settlement with the debt holder wherein they completely REMOVE the account from your report once the settlement amount is paid. This should boost his score by quite a bit more than 10 points.

Either way, I'd hold off on that house and address that credit first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collections [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few questions in regards to collections. I have recently received a call from NorDon Collections and they want me to pay them $10000 because of a line of credit from Scotia Bank. The guy wanted me to pay him by borrowing money from friends and relatives. I told him that was not...

Collections [ 4 Answers ]

In md what is the worst that a collection agency do to you when you have a judgement against you and you don't have money to pay them ,or you are paying them what you can What is the worst that can happen,

Because collections [ 2 Answers ]

What is the longest that a debt collector has to collect on a loan in BC? What kinds of bearing does the statute of limitations have on this?

Collections [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Utah. I have a hospital debt that is large enough that I cannot pay what the hospital wants me to pay each month and they have advised me that it will go to a collection agency. My Question is: "If i make the monthly payments i can afford to the collection agency, can they still...

View more questions Search