Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gludwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Worker's Safety during a power outage
    How long can an employer in CA keep workers at a site, restaurant, during a power outage? Specifically, this power outage happens in the evening and no lights are on, no fire alarm is working and the emergency lights are the only illumination.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 12:27 AM
    One would think they would send you home since keeping you there doing nothing costs them money because what kind of work could you do with no power?

Do they have to let you go home? No.

If this was like 3pm, and the sun was setting at 4pmish, then I can understand why you would want to go home before it gets dark and you can't see on the roads.

But if the power outage happened in the evening, then it is already dark, so what different does it make to you if you go home or not?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Hello glu:

There is no law in California that says how long an employer can keep people at work when there's a power outage.

Do you think there is a law written for every single possible occurrence in the world?? Well, there isn't.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2007, 08:06 AM
    The only law involved here would be an issue of unsafe working conditions. If your safety wasn't compromised, then they can keep you until the end of your shift.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 4, 2007, 08:25 AM
    This answer depends on your position. If hourly, I would ask, "what work do you have for me to do?" If it seems unsafe to do because of the power outage, politely refuse to do it. If they have nothing else for you to do, if I were you I would leave saying, "I'll be glad to work again when it is possible." They don't own you and they'll be hard pressed to fire you over something that saves them money. While there may be no laws specifically governing this there are job description/wage expectations involved here that can't be played with too fast and loosely without consequences. I don't believe, as Scott says, that they can keep you to the end of your shift doing nothing at a reduced wage if you are, say, a waiter and waitress who's tips are considered part of their wage. However staying may be expected of salaried management (some of whom should be used to being paid for doing nothing LOL). It may have been their thinking that the power could return soon, in which case you could ask how long they expect you to wait. A waiting period in circumstances like that certainly is open to negotiation and in my area, you can call the power company and get a fairly accurate estimation of when power will be restored to help make those decisions. If anything, occurrences like this can open a dialogue about expectations in emergencies that companies need to cover with their employees. I hope that was helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

Electrical outlet outage [ 2 Answers ]

While watching TV last night the outlet went dead. It may have been overloaded. However, when I tested the outlet, the checker indicated that the Hot and ground were reversed. The circuit breaker looks good and I reset it for good measure. How do I go about solving this problem? Thanks, Lloyd.

Printer Problem - Power Outage [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, The company I work for recently had a power outage and one of our printers has a message on it. The message reads: Load file and execute. The printer is stuck here. I turn it on and off several times, replaced the jetdirect card and changed the memory. None of which helped. Has...

View more questions Search