Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbaker6196 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
    How do we protect children we have been raising for years from their ex-con parent(s)
    We have legal guardianship of two beautiful little girls, they have been with us for 2.5 years and 1.5 years.

They are biological sisters and also related to my husband. They do not know either of their biological parents. We are the only mommy and daddy that they know. Both of the girls' parents were in a Georgia prison up until four months ago when the mother got out.

Because we believed that "family helped family", we are now screwed. We didn't get our Department of Family and Children Services involved, so now if she can keep herself straight, we have no choice but to give them back, by Georgia law.

We just learned that she is having an affair while her husband is still in prison. Can he sign his parental rights over to us? If he can we have a more level palying field and just have to prove she has been in the past and still is an unfit mother.

And, our juvinelle court judge that we went before in August has already told us we had proved she was an unfit parent, but we could prove that she signed the temporary guardianship papers just to get around DFACS involvement. The father was on board until we discovered the affair. Now he is afraid that she is going to divorce him and disappear with the kids.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2011, 04:04 PM
    You need an attorney to help you keep the girls.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
    I doubt if a court would allow him sot sign over his rights, but he could support your continued guardianship.

I'm somewhat confused though. If you have legal guardianship then I don't see what DFACS has to do with it. A court order trumps them. Until the guardianship is rescinded you have control over the children. DFACS cannot give them back to either parent without a court order.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
    When you say guardianship, that is from family court correct ? Then only family court can take that away.

In Georgia I have seen children and family services, lie to parents, try to scare them by even bringing police to your door ( that can't enter without a warrant if you don't let them)

So you need an attorney at this point to help protect your rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I protect my children from spirits? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old little girl (she doesn't speak or talk yet) and a 4 month old little boy. My husband and I moved into our house over three years ago. During the first year we just had this 'feeling' that something was in our house. I really started having this feeling when I would be in the...

Returning to work after 25 years, raising children [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to return to work after raising 4 nchildren. I am a 48 year old female and was hoping somebody in a similar position had any advice. I am hoping to work in an animal clinic as a receptionist or vet assisstant. Thanks

Who's raising the children and why? [ 19 Answers ]

Manabo's question https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/ethics/do-you-think-society-has-gotten-stupider-26589.html has brought me to another question. What are your beliefs on who raises your children? -who has primary care over the children -who's morals are our children growing up with -why are...

Sikhism on raising children? [ 1 Answers ]

Would someone please give me some information about how Sikhs raise their children. It's for my religion project. Thanks:)

Please Protect Your Children... It Is Not A Thingy.. [ 1 Answers ]

:( I am really new to this site but I just read something that made me nuts. A parent referred to his or her son's penis as a thingy and was quite relieved to find out that "doing wierd things" aka masturbating did not guarantee that the five year old would grow up to be a pervert. My God there is...

View more questions Search