Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erinleo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Would like to discuss Russian Film Director & Film Theorist Sergei Eisenstein
    Can some one help explain Eisenstein's term of "Unexpected"?

I have this much so far:

Eisenstein came up with the "Unexpected" after seeing a troupe of Kabuki actors.

The "Unexpected" is the combining of different elements: sound, costume, voice, space, and movement, to create a diverse work.

Eisenstein is surprised the mixture of two significantly different cultures working together creating something not completely new, but different.

Creating different actions to still get the same point across. The link between his own montage in "The Battleship Potemkin" and the Kabuki performances.

He liked the performance without transitions in the Kabuki plays.

Theater is transformed into cinema. Then cinema development into the sound film.

Check out some similar questions!

Calling film buffs! What's the baby film called? Help its driving me crazy! [ 2 Answers ]

An American film where the man puts on a record and dances with the baby at the end to get her to sleep. The mum then comes in and dances with them. Think it late 80's 90's film. Please save me from wondering!!

60's/70's desert/cave film-immortal/ reincarnation love film? Do you know its name?pl [ 1 Answers ]

It starts with a man in a desert,who then finds his way to a hidden cave.As he goes further in,the cave can only be explored via a path along cliffs which go down endlessly. He is found by an ancient tribe and taken to the Queen (who is blonde/beautiful and IMMORTAL). She has met him in a previous...

Name of Indie film from 2006, Russian mail order bride travels to Iowa [ 5 Answers ]

The farmer and mail order bride can't get married because she doesn't speak English and they think she might be a spy. The farmer's friends abandon him because the couple cohabitate anyway. Does anyone remember the name of this move, I keep thinking Painted House but that's not it.

Foreighn Film Movie.possibly russian. [ 1 Answers ]

Back when I was about 12 I lived in Sacramento California, and I was watching the I-Channel one night or the International channel, in the past month this movie just somehow came back to me all the way 6 years later and I really want to see it again, like REALLY fricken bad. It had some kind of...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.