Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SmilingInside Posts: 182, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2011, 05:25 AM
    I am looking for a CDL training course in/around NY State.
    I need a course that is approved to take federal and state finincial aid and helps provide housing during training. Job placement or guarantee is a definite plus.

On average, how long is the training? What are any major drawbacks?

I have looked into NTTS, however is is fairly far from me (350 miles)and I'm not entirely sure of their reputation, job placement and housing available.

Any help? I am in the Central NY area, relativelly close to Binghamton, Pennsylvania, Albany area, etc.

And help? Responses from experienced individuals very much appreciated! Also any alternatives to formal schooling that can actually lead to a viable career are welcome! As re tips, tricks and insider info! Thanks a bunch!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmilingInside View Post
    I need a course that is approved to take federal and state finincial aid and helps provide housing during training. Job placement or guarantee is a definite plus.

On average, how long is the training? What are any major drawbacks?

I have looked into NTTS, however is is fairly far from me (350 miles)and I'm not entirely sure of their reputation, job placement and housing available.

Any help? I am in the Central NY area, relativelly close to Binghamton, Pennsylvania, Albany area, etc.

And help? Responses from experienced individuals very much appreciated! Also any alternatives to formal schooling that can actually lead to a viable career are welcome! As re tips, tricks and insider info! Thanks a bunch!
    Some of the bigger trucking companies have their own in house truck driving schools. There was a company located out of Springfield, Ohio that offered free training at their school and housing (food was on you). You can call up the bigger companies and talk to their recruiters for more info. How is your driving record and criminal background at this point? That play a lot in if the trucking company will accept you in their school.

You can figure for a good school the training would be about 12 weeks. Then you would be on a truck with a trainer until the trainer feels you are not a rookie any longer and able to handle the truck and trailer yourself. Usually with a company trained driver they want you to commit to at least a year with their firm. I know PAM does and so does CR England so does PRIME, but prime is out of Missouri and you would have to go there.

Be ready to be an OTR though as local driving at first is not an option until you've been a driver for at least 6 months or so under your belt.

If you want to, you CAN contact one of the local truck driving schools and speak to their recruiter. There is federal loan money available but you must pay that back similar to a student loan. This way you won't have to leave your present home Mon through Fri.
    SmilingInside Posts: 182, Reputation: 3

Sep 30, 2011, 06:06 PM
    Thanks. My husband is off to school on Sunday! He's taking the most intensive course, it's 18 weeks. No criminal or driving problems, in fact he already has a wrecker endorsement. Thanks for taking the time to help me!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
    Good luck to him being a new driver. 18 weeks sounds like a good course. He needs to remember when he first gets driving with any trucking company he will be a rookie with a trainer riding along with him giving him all the pointers along the way. Usually the driver trainer rides along for a minimum of 2 weeks and can be up to a month until the trainer feels he can handle the rig on his own. Driving in heavy weather like snow, ice, high winds takes a lot our of a driver having to fight the steeringwheel to keep the rig on the road. Driving in icy road conditions with black ice is very dangerous as well. This winter should be a bad one so tell him to drive slow when it's bad out and he'll get there eventually safe and sound.

Thanks for coming back with an update. Let me know how he's doing...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cdl training if you have a felony [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am trying to find a good school to get my cdl to drive trucks. The problem I have had is I have a felony that is 7 years old. Some schools say it has to be 10 years old. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Looking for free cdl training [ 5 Answers ]

I have a class b cdl, with a ten year work history OTR, but was injured two and a half years ago, and have been unemployed, I now have a green light from my doctor to work again, is there a free class A CDL training academy that will accept me? I was rejected by Stevens Transport Academy for being...

Is there free cdl training for felons? [ 6 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

Cdl class a training [ 2 Answers ]

will me myself have CDL B x but I need A for my future.

View more questions Search