Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suren25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2011, 03:27 PM
    Why does DVDs stores more data than CDs?
    Why does DVDs stores more data than CDs?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2011, 03:21 AM
    DVDs has two layers where data can be stored, whereas CDs have only one layer.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 22, 2011, 08:31 AM
    The capacity difference is due to the laser used in the devices to read/write data on the disc.

The "beam size" of a DVD laser is much smaller than that of the CD. For blue-rays dics, the beam gets even smaller.

There's lots of info on the net with technical details of this. For more, try starting at:
    Optical disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Sep 28, 2011, 07:19 AM
    Was going to say try the wiki, but the gist is a number of things, different materials of the disk, better encoding onto the disk, better laser read/write technology. Also as far as blue rays go if I'm not mistaken they also use the same technology that our hard drives do for read/write(its a mathematical formula that allows for much denser information storage) the guys that came up with it got the nobel for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cds & dvds [ 1 Answers ]

How can I write protect a cds or dvds

CDs n DVDs won't work after new antivirus [ 1 Answers ]

No DVD or CD is able to open on my DVD/CD drive after I have installed, updated and scanned my computer with a new antivitus. The drive is being detected; It Shows just CD/DVD Drive always; not recognising any CD/DVD I put in. do answer here or mail to [email protected]

My drive plays dvds but not cds or cd roms [ 1 Answers ]

My acer aspire 5610z will play dvds without a problem but if I try to play a cd or cd-rom it won't even regester how do I fix this and get it to read them again?

CDs and DVDs won't run [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my computer's CD drive will not run CDs or DVDs. Also, my cd drive also takes some time to eject, like 3/4 times it gets stuck but it will still eject. When I manage to get my Cd in my computer just automatically ejects it.

View more questions Search