Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
    Looks like big brother has a little sister.
    Today in the news blows the wind of change. OnStar is going to continue tracking you even if you quit their service and may/will/can make your information available to others. So those of you that have a concern Im including a link to disconnect it should you wish to.

The article on OnStar:

OnStar Tracks Your Car Even When You Cancel Service | Threat Level | Wired.com

The link provided is to disconnect if you wish:

How to Take OnStar Out of a Car | eHow.com
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2011, 02:24 AM
    Not sure if I understand the technology. Isn't there hardware that needs to be removed from the vehicle ?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2011, 03:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Not sure if I understand the technology. Isn't there hardware that needs to be removed from the vehicle ?
    Yep, a transponder of sorts that connects to satellites. Kind of like an in-car GPS unit.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 03:42 AM
    Either removed or disconnected. The second article talks about how to do it. The thing that got me is how we are losing privacy more and more. The unit in the OnStar is a 2 way unit. It allows communication as well as navigation. That is where it differs from the normal GPS systems.

We have all seen pay as you go or technologies that give a service for free so long as...

But with this you can say no and they still want something from you with nothing in return except the risk of violating your privacy. It has already happened that OnStar has been asked to turn on the microphone feature so law enforcement can listen in. Also OnStar has the ability to shut down your car while its in motion. There again putting you at risk should the system fail.

Since GM cars and trucks are coming with it as a "free" option and later sold by subscription after the free trial runs out it has a major potential for abuse.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2011, 03:55 AM
    Looks like the issue is really transparency. If it is installed, free or otherwise, the consumer should be informed of it's capability . I may want those features in my car ;but it should be my choice.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 03:59 AM
    looks like the issue is really transparency. If it is installed, free or otherwise, the consumer should be informed of it's capability . I may want those features in my car ;but it should be my choice.
    Exactly, and the new changes that they are going to implement in December will remove that choice. As you can see its not exactly easy for you to disconnect/remove the system but it can be done. They really need to be upfront about all this as sheeple will be duped quite easily by not paying attention. They will assume if they do not subscribe to it then it is "off".
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Hello:

In my view, soldiers mistreat their prisoners WHEN they detect they have permission from above...

In the same vein, due to the CRASHING of our Fourth Amendment rights by the NSA, who READS your email and LISTENS to your phone calls, companies believe they have license to violate our rights too.

Certainly, your local police forces do. When the idea was discussed on these very pages, tom called those INVASIONS a serious police investigation... In other words, he LIKED it.

So as long as the government thinks the only privacy that CAN'T be invaded is THEIRS, we're going to see MORE of this. You do know that Google is cooperating with the FEDS. They know more about you than your own MOTHER.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

In my view, soldiers mistreat their prisoners WHEN they detect they have permission from above...

In the same vein, due to the CRASHING of our Fourth Amendment rights by the NSA, who READS your email and LISTENS to your phone calls, companies believe they have license to violate our rights too.

Certainly, your local police forces do. When the idea was discussed on these very pages, tom called those INVASIONS a serious police investigation... In other words, he LIKED it.

So as long as the government thinks the only privacy that CAN'T be invaded is THEIRS, we're gonna see MORE of this. You do know that Google is cooperating with the FEDS. They know more about you than your own MOTHER.

excon
    That would be my responses to this OP.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...te-595361.html

I stand by my comments .
    WVFrustrated Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
    The control OnStar has over your vehicle is why I wouldn't even consider having it in mine. Even though Sun cofounder Scott McNealy said, "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it," I prefer to believe I still have a minute amount of control over who knows what. Why I won't be found on Facebook either. They even seem proud they share info on you...
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WVFrustrated View Post
    The control OnStar has over your vehicle is why I wouldn't even consider having it in mine.
    Many models and trims have it pre-installed whether you ordered it or not. Not sure they'll remove it for free, you'd never know unless you know where to check.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2011, 05:47 AM
    Update: they have backed out from this plan:

OnStar Kills Its Terrible Plan To Monitor Non-Customers' Driving - Forbes
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2011, 06:45 AM
    Well that kills this thread
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2011, 06:51 AM
    It's good news.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 12:51 PM
    What it does is show that consumers can sometimes win one. But it also illustrates the thinking in big companies of today.

Glad they changed their minds.
    Thanks for the update.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2011, 01:53 PM
    I'd still remove their computer. :D
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I'd still remove their computer. :D
    Or since it is a feature of the car at a minimum unplug it until you decide to sell it.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
    Damn good point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brother and sister [ 2 Answers ]

I have brother ans sister they are twins. They were born I think in California In Vista. My mom had 5 kids. I am the baby. They were born before me. I have no clue what their names are. Is their a way to look for them because we have the same mom. They were adopted.

Why Big Sister [ 5 Answers ]

I have a major problem; I have a really pain-in-the-- sister who thinks she knows every single filthy detail about me. She always has to skip to conclusions and assume that I was up to "no good". Plus she's thin as a rail, she's always looking down on people thinking she is the best. It's a wonder...

Brother and sister [ 4 Answers ]

Does cats (brother and sister) have kittens with eachather

Big Brother UK C4 [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have seen over the weekend and in the papers the last few days that Big Brother is back on the telly ! What do you people really think of C4 Big Brother. And as for Celebs lol that's got to be the biggest joke of 2006. Is it time that they laid old rope to bed? :D

View more questions Search