Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kgodinez Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Diesel Engine
    What is the best Diesel Engine for hauling power and speed that would fit and work in an old 1958 two ton dully flatbed International, that we want to fix up as a work and hauling truck?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
    The biggest one that will fit. But there are also other things to factor as far as fuel usage, and weight. However exactly how much do you plan on hauling at most? Also what where is this at as parts availability will also be important and will vary depending on your location.

Also how much are you willing to spend is also a huge factor.
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Sep 21, 2011, 12:54 PM
    International DT530 is a pretty good choice, or if you can find a Cummins M11 without a jake brake that would be my choice. The M11 will cost you quite a bit, but it'll pull like a freight train, the DT530 is a good engine, just not quite as powerful, if you are looking for a more economical choice an International DT466 would be a great choice, reasonably powerful very reliable, and plentaful and easy to find, since they've been building it since the mid 60s
    kgodinez Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2011, 02:18 PM
    We want to haul cattle & hay and load size's that are usually to heavy and big for a one ton pickup but don't need something as big as a semi.
    alleycat1309 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
    You could use the smaller cummins out of the dodge trucks. Those also used in FED EX vans and step vans of that type. Not to mention you can get plenty of power out of one of them with some modifications
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2011, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kgodinez View Post
    We want to haul cattle & hay and load size's that are usually to heavy and big for a one ton pickup but don't need something as big as a semi.
    Then a Cummins 6BT might be a good choice. Get one with a P7100 injection pump and you can crank it up a bit more if you need some extra grunt, plus the older 12 valves generally aren't computer controlled. In Dodge pickup applications they are actually detuned from commercial apps. One heck of a good engine.

Do resesearch as there are a lot of differences between them over the years. Not all will be the best choice for your application.

With the right adapter plate and flywheel you can put almost any transmission you want behind it.
    AmicaGt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 05:02 AM
    I agree. Cummins 6BT this is your choice. Try order it in engine distributor like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford f350 diesel Engine will not start cold, smoke leaks from the engine, fuel gage [ 2 Answers ]

Three Problems: 1. Engine will not start cold 2. Smokes leak out from top of the engine near the spark plug/glow plug (front of the engine) 4. Front gas tank gas indicator only shows empty, even if it is full. I recently bought a 83 Ford F350 Diesel Truck (dually) It was hard to cold start,...

Buying 7.3 L diesel need info on trucks with diesel engine [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking at buying a 1997 Ford F250 Diesel 7.3L it has 200k miles. Till now I have had only gas engines but have always been a truck guy. Please provide any information you know about this truck including: gas mileage, life expectancy, upkeep costs, major problems to look for anything at...

Ford diesel engine problem? - Ford E350 van 96 (diesel) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a Ford E350 van bus 96 (diesel) used for the transport of a church. The bus turns on but does not move, it moves very slowly as if I had some clogged filter or as if it were not pumping well. And you change the filter and checked several things and still continues with the ruling. I...

7.3 diesel engine [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 97 f250 with the 7.3 turbo and, I'm having problems with the injectors , a friend of mine used his scaner and it reads injector 4 is bad how can I know where injector 4 is?

Diesel engine [ 2 Answers ]

I am a student in Mechanical Engineering,ITB. I had done practical job in a company and my topic about iveco engine. I have some problems about it. One of them is to calculate the performance of engine diesel?How many parameters to calculate it and please explain them?thank you...

View more questions Search