Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Deer Meat
    Can deer meat still be good on or after being in the freezer for about one year?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Hi Joe, what kind of cuts are they. The thinner the cut the less likely it will be used for human consumption, but dog food would be good. If it is a denser meat like a roast (and I have recipes if you need them) then yes, you can still eat the dear meat roasts. I would be learly about the ribs though, although they are the best part absolutely fresh.

And, as an aside, why don't you answer your PMs. You sent me one and I have no idea what it is about.

Tick
    Tick
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
    Hi Tickle,

Thank you for answering. Actually this is ground deer meat. I have different cuts as well but what I thawed out was ground deer meat.

Last couple of years have been introduced to many different ways of eating deer meat which are really good. Tried the roast thing not so much for me. Although would be interested in recipes.

I will reply very soon and explain everything and sorry for not answering back to the pm I got today.
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Joe, I would use it in chili recipes. Deer meat is low in cholesterol. Would be good for that. As for the deer roasts, send them to me, I roast them with bacon on top. Excellent protein and low in fat.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 12:52 PM
    So a year later and all is okay from the freezer I was thinking about making home made lasagna using the deer meat and maybe a dear loaf or burgers.
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCanada76 View Post
    So a year later and all is okay from the freezer I was thinking about making home made lasagna using the deer meat and maybe a dear loaf or burgers.
    Hey, go for it Joe, but I wouldn't go with the lasagna, slow cooking meat that has been in the freezer for a while is not a good idea. Fast cooking and fast eating is a better idea.

Tick
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
    Thank you Tick Will write a pm later.
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Thank you Tick Will write a pm later.
    Seeing as you are here now, just right it NOW !
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Yes Tickle. Thanks for kicking me in my butt, now to make those deer burgers... for the family.
    Expert

Sep 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
    Yes Tickle. Thanks for kicking me in my butt, now to make those deer burgers... for the family.
    You got for it Joe, just wish I was there eating them too !
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
    It is a lovely meat. What is best about it.. All natural and lean.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 06:39 AM
    Joe, just wanted to let you know I eat frozen deer, moose and caribou, some of mine is over a year. Like Tick said the thicker the cut the better.

Tick would LOVE some of your deer roast recipies. I have an excellent one here for moose ribs and roast if you would like to trade?
    Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Tick would LOVE some of your deer roast recipies. I have an excellent one here for moose ribs and roast if you would like to trade?

Bella, don't actually have any recipes, but I always cook venison roasts with bacon on top. I use ground venison like ground beef in chili etc.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 08:23 AM
    I will jump in, although fairly well covered, The year is about where most people start cull out. I would go up to a max of 18 months. Also how it was sealed and of course any 'freezer burn" could cause individual packages to be culled out.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2011, 08:09 PM
    You should use a vacuum food sealer to ensure no freezer burn happens on the meat. I have used a food sealer for years and I still have meat in deep freezer well over a year that's still plenty good. Just putting it in a regular ziplock bag won't ensure freshness and no freezer burn but the vacuumed freezer bags will.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
    Thank you so much for your answer. Never thought of a vacuum food sealer but that should be my next purchase especially before getting more meat, season coming up soon. Thanks again for the advice.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
    You can buy a new Rival Seal A meal on Ebay for much less than you can at a store. Also other brands are cheaper on Ebay. Just look at a brand you may like on Amazon to get an idea of what the users say about the unit in their reviews and go from there. The replacement bags are much cheaper on Ebay as well vs buy them at your local store. And they CAN be reused after washing in warm water in the sink with dish soap and a shot of bleach. But be careful not to poke a hole in the bag as it will no longer seal properly. Use scissors to cut open the bag as straight as possible. Knives don't work the same and will leave jagged edges and bag won't seal properly.

Some vaacuum sealed bags can keep meat in a freezer for several years with no problem and no freezer burn.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2011, 10:09 AM
    Don't forget to make some jerky also, will send you may mailing address so we can approve it ( LOL)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 23, 2011, 10:15 AM
    If Chuck's getting jerky, I want jerky!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you know if you have meat the one [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the guy that I can spend mylife with, someone that will treat me like a lady, respect me, love me 4 who I am and not take me for granted. Someone that if he does not see me, he just want to call or jump on the next bus that is availabele, someone that I can love and would love me...

Old meat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello cookers: If you have some hamburger that's laid around for a close to a week, and then you cook it, does the time start over again? excon

Deer Meat [ 6 Answers ]

A man kills a deer and takes it home to cook for dinner. Both he and his wife decide that they won't tell the kids what kind of meat it is, but will give them a clue and let them guess. The kids were eager to know what the meat was on their plates, so they begged their dad for the clue. ...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

View more questions Search