Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkee682 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Credit fraud
    My husband and I recently found out after pulling a free credit report that someone opened 4 credit cards with high balances and attempted to open 5 others all within 3 months. Well, we just found out it is HIS MOTHER that used his information to open and use these accounts by purchasing stuff online. It is a HUGE mess and she even got cards with her name on them by putting herself as a user. My husband told me this is not the first time she has done something so crazy. She made her and her husband go bankrupt and stole a check from her other son ( and also opened things under his name also he just found out after us telling him) everything is still under investigation and we have not spoken to her since. She is denying everything but we have proof because all the billing address is her home address where my husband has NEVER lived. My husband has left everything up to the company's if they want to file charges. My question is isn't this a felony and what is the worst that could happen? We are trying to get everything fixed so we can purchase our first home! I am pissed and now hate my mother in law and I think she is crazy for doing this to her own children!
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 3, 2007, 06:41 PM
    You may have already done this. Call the fraud line of any one of the credit reporting agencies and ad a 100 word statement on your credit report. The statement should say that no accounts are to be open in your name unless the company has spoken to you personally. The fraud issue number for Trans Union is 1-800-680-7289.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by monkee682
    i am pissed and now hate my mother in law and i think she is crazy for doing this to her own children!
    Hello monkee:

I know. She's terrible. But jail?? I think you'd be "crazy" for doing this to your children's grandmother.

excon
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Jail may be a bit much, but from what I have heard, in many cases of identity theft (which is what this is), especially when it involves a family member, the companies being defrauded will not accept that it is not _your_ debt unless you file charges against the thief. I mean, otherwise you could get a lot of free stuff by just getting a relative to charge it and claiming you know nothing about it. So monkee may be faced with two choices: grandma in jail, or paying off grandma's debts in order to protect her credit rating. Which is worse probably depends on how high the debt is.
    Gotwheels Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
    My husband and I recently found out after pulling a free credit report that someone opened 4 credit cards with high balances and attempted to open 5 others all within 3 months. Well, we just found out it is HIS MOTHER that used his information to open and use these accounts by purchasing stuff online. it is a HUGE mess and she even got cards with her name on them by putting herself as a user. My husband told me this is not the first time she has done something so crazy. she made her and her husband go bankrupt and stole a check from her other son ( and also opened things under his name also he just found out after us telling him) everything is still under investigation and we have not spoken to her since. she is denying everything but we have proof because all the billing address is her home address where my husband has NEVER lived. My husband has left everything up to the company's if they want to file charges. my question is isn't this a felony and what is the worst that could happen? we are trying to get everything fixed so we can purchase our first home! i am pissed and now hate my mother in law and i think she is crazy for doing this to her own children!
    Hi,
    Before you even think about your credit ever being straightened out, for the most part forget it. I work with banks and credit agencies everday and for the most part you'll spend a lot of time and money and nothing will change. other than addendum being added to the back of your credit report explaining what happened. We as dealers and financers very rarely look past your beacon score which is on the first page. Now as far as your in law. No credit agency, bank or institution will work with you unless you yourself press charges. No matter what you do your kids, her grandkids will know you pressed charges and put grandma in jail. I'm not saying you shouldn't but you should look at the bigger picture, because it's not going to make your situation any better. Good Luck in whatever you do.
    timmanpl61 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 07:34 PM
    My husband and I recently found out after pulling a free credit report that someone opened 4 credit cards with high balances and attempted to open 5 others all within 3 months. Well, we just found out it is HIS MOTHER that used his information to open and use these accounts by purchasing stuff online. it is a HUGE mess and she even got cards with her name on them by putting herself as a user. My husband told me this is not the first time she has done something so crazy. she made her and her husband go bankrupt and stole a check from her other son ( and also opened things under his name also he just found out after us telling him) everything is still under investigation and we have not spoken to her since. she is denying everything but we have proof because all the billing address is her home address where my husband has NEVER lived. My husband has left everything up to the company's if they want to file charges. my question is isn't this a felony and what is the worst that could happen? we are trying to get everything fixed so we can purchase our first home! i am pissed and now hate my mother in law and i think she is crazy for doing this to her own children!
    Hello my name is Tim Soldner and I might be able to help you. First let me introduce my company to you. It is Pre-Paid Legal and Kroll Background of America, the legal side of it
    Gives you access to a highly rated lawyer ( B to AV rated) for a very low cost to the member -$24.95 a month. Our company is traded on the NYSE everyday. We are in all 50 states plus Canada. Kroll is the world's largest risk management group they are located in over 26 countries besides the US and Canada. They will launch a licensed investigator on your behalf, they work hand in hand with the FTC. If I may of service to you please feel free to call me and talk about this further. The Identity Theft Kit with Kroll
    Costs just $9.95 a month.

Home- (816) 987-0161
    Cell- (816) 377-0958

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fraud [ 3 Answers ]

My husband left me 3 days after getting his green card in the mail. I now know he married me for the green card only. He was in jail for 6 months for fraud, how do I get his green card revoked? Thanks Anthoula

Credit Card fraud [ 8 Answers ]

I paid off a credit card last yr and 3-4 months later the credit card company reopened my account without my consent. I later had to get my credit report pulled to then realize that I was 30 days late for payment. Automatically a red flag went up because I never pay my bills late and guess what,...

Fraud by any other name [ 3 Answers ]

I am not asking a question here, but sharing a news article in today's "Bismarck Tribune". Just when you wonder how low someone can go, someone finds out how. Alleged surrogate scam leads to felony charge

Credit fraud? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife recently told me she doesn't want to be married anymore and I can accept that. I also found out she took out a half dozen credit cards in my name and charged up to $25,000.00. Even though we are still married is there any legal action I can take in the state of New Jersey.

View more questions Search