Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Sep 19, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Facebook is postponing its IPO - any thoughts as to why?
    I recently read that Facebook is pushing out the IPO date to next year. While I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons they might push it out, I'm curious to know what people believe to be the primary reason. Is it the lack of interest in their stock? Is it possibly that they can reach a higher valuation with new features that they are about to release? Possibly, wait for the market to settle a little bit more before jumping in?

While the Facebook example is interesting and current, I am more interested in the thought process that companies go through in timing the IPO? What are the soft and hard measures that are used when deciding the timeline?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
    Supposedly, people "close to the company" told the Financial Times that Mark Zuckerberg wants to hold off on the IPO until September 2012 or later "in order to keep employees focused on product developments rather than a pay-out."

Meanwhile, Facebook investor Peter Thiel told FT.com that it is generally desirable for tech companies to wait as long as possible. He thinks that Google set a good example by waiting almost six years to go public.

"It was a good competitive strategy," said Thiel. "And it culturally orientated (sic) people toward long-term value and not quarterly numbers."

Read more: Facebook IPO Officially Delayed Until 2012?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Penny stock going ipo [ 2 Answers ]

I have bought pink sheet share of a company called bankunited. The company announced that they will be going IPO. How can a company have shares for sale (penny stocks via pink sheets) then go Ipo? What does this mean for me?

Postponing Connection Flights to India from Germany [ 1 Answers ]

I have confirmed Non-Refundable Air Tickets for myself and my wife from Germany to India. It's a connection flight schedule Stuttgart-Frankfurt-Mumbai-Cochin (3 flights) with Stuttgart-Franfurt operated by Lufthansa, and Frankfurt-Mumbai-Cochin operated by Air India. I want to postpone my travel...

Postponing the flight date [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in sydney, how can I change my date of flight to india... its malaysian airline...

IPO leads [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good resource for IPO alerts? I have found a company that I'm very interested in, and I don't want to miss the IPO, not even by a day.

View more questions Search