Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldagarda Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Sep 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
    My black moor died
    Hi, I have a 30L tank with 4 fancy goldfish: 1 lionhead, 1 oranda and 2 black moors. They are very tiny at the moment, but I am already looking at getting a bigger tank, like an 80-100L as when they get really ANY bigger, I don't think this tank would be fair for the fish.

I cycled the tank for a week before putting my fish in. The guy at the store said 48 hours would be fine, but I had read that that isn't really long enough.

I fed them 4 flakes yesterday and today and crushed them up before feeding as my fish are still quite tiny.

Today, one of my black moors died. I only got my fish 2 days ago and am absolutely gutted.

Can anyone tell me why my fish might have died, give me any advice, or tell me if I am doing anything wrong?

I really don't want my other fish to die or be ill and unhappy.

I had been keeping an eye on him all day as I noticed him sitting on the bottom for long periods. He hadn't been dead for longer for a couple of hours when I took him out of the tank.

Will my other fish be OK in the tank?

Please, please help, I feel really horrible that he died, especially so soon :(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2011, 11:51 PM
    There could be many reasons, the fish may have been sick when you bought it, it may have died from shock or there could be something wrong with the water.
    Don't feel bad, it can take quite a while to get a tank set up and cycling properly. It actually takes 6 weeks for it to complete a full cycle before it is recommended you add fish, of course, not many people want to wait that long ;)

I actually bought 4 new fish today, some guppies, I put them in quarantine and already noticed one of them has ick, so they are being treated for that before they go in the big tank.

I would take a water sample in to the pet store and get them to test the water levels to make sure it is not the water causing them to become ill.

Another thing, did you make sure you floated the fish for 15 minutes before releasing them?
    goldagarda Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Sep 20, 2011, 02:07 AM
    Thanks! I get sad when anything dies, this is why my boyfriend got me fish and not a puppy!!

I tested the water beforehand with a kit from the pet store and took a sample with me when I got my fish. When I added them, I floated for 15 minutes, added some water from the tank to the bag and then after another 15 minutes, released them into the tank.

Do you think my other fish will be OK if there is a problem with the water? I don't have another tank now to let this one cycle longer :S

Thank-you for your help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I bleached my hair and died it but I have black spots? [ 0 Answers ]

I bleached my hair to go from black to light brown.but left me black spots:(wat can I do to fix it?

Died my black hair golden actually the highlights [ 0 Answers ]

Please someone help me,I am going on a vacation to my home within 2 weeks, and I died my black hair golden actually the highlights,but now I feel I am like some old lady with white hair on which henna is done,I want my natural black back, is this possible ?someone *** help me,,

My black moor and apple snail are sick! [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, I have a 5 gallon tank with one small apple snail and a black moor. First of all, my black moor is sitting at the bottom of the tank and only comes up when I feed it. I've had a lot of other fish and 3 of them died because of this. My apple snail doesn't look very healthy either. It's...

I died my red hair black [ 2 Answers ]

I NEED HELP!! I died my long red hair the day before Halloween last year BLACK and it was temporary die and it WILL NOT come out!:mad: what should I do it has faded some to a dark brown but now I have long roots and my hair looks horrible plus prom is coming up in about a month and a half and I...

Getting rid of died black hair * [ 2 Answers ]

I have light brown hair and accidentally died it black. How do I get it back to brown? I have tried just brown dys but they just stay the same or make my hair darker. So is there any way to fade it out QUICKLY or dy it back to a similar color without bleaching it first?

View more questions Search