Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 07:33 PM
    Cleaning leather
    I was given an old, beautiful leather jacket. It looks and fits great but there's one problem. It smells very bad. It absorbed what I think are several years of cooking odors and it's pretty gross.

I bought Febreeze to spray on the fabric lining but I'm not sure how to clean the leather itself. Saddle soap followed by some kind of oil?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 07:38 PM
    Saddle soap and oil would work but you may want to take it to a professional for a good cleaning as they have access to other chemicals. Also depending on the thickness of the coat you may not be able to get a good cleaning without the help.
    Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Saddle soap and oil would work but you may want to take it to a professional for a good cleaning as they have access to other chemicals. Also depending on the thickness of the coat you may not be able to get a good cleaning without the help.
    Thanks but the minute you bring anything made of leather into a dry cleaner you can see the $ signs light up in their eyes. I want to take a shot at cleaning it myself first. I'm just afraid of ruining it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Is the coat clean and its just the smell that you want gone? Maybe you can work with that instead of washing the leather and its much safer.
    Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Is the coat clean and its just the smell that you want gone? Maybe you can work with that instead of washing the leather and its much safer.
    The leather looks like it could use a cleaning.
    kachaloo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2011, 05:39 AM
    Why don't you also try searching www.google.com
    Expert

Sep 23, 2011, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kachaloo View Post
    why don't you also try searching Google
    Thanks for the suggestion. I may do a Google search. But I would always ask here first. There are many people here with lots of experience in different areas and I prefer the response from a live person over a computer-generated list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

HOW to obtain cleaning contracts and also how todo marketing for my cleaning business [ 13 Answers ]

Hello I just started my own cleaning business 5months ago with my husband I have one contract so far... its a small restaurant cleaning once a week which is not much... I just basically looked through the phone book and that's how I got it really called a bunch of people and got lucky... What...

Cleaning of leather furniture after parvo infection [ 1 Answers ]

I have a home that has parvo in it that I clean on a weekly basis.. I was asked to clean tomorrow with clorox on the walls and even the leather furniture.. Help what do I do is it safe??

Cleaning leather furniture [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove super glue from a leather couch?

Cleaning a leather recliner [ 6 Answers ]

What would be a good product for cleaning just regular dirt on a leather recliner could you use a cleaner you would have in your house thank you kay5

HELP needed for cleaning Suede leather [ 2 Answers ]

Got these cool lace up black leather "winter boots" (suede). Problem is I went to an outdoor event on the Solstice and got MUD ALL over them. How do I go about cleaning this? The mud was left to dry so I didn't rub it in more and make it worse, but they are still sitting my entry way because I...

View more questions Search