Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 06:41 AM
    Help with German Ivy
    I hope there are some super gardeners out there who can give me advice on new German Ivy planting.

I planted two new plants on a north facing wall a month ago and they still haven't started to climb. I find this unusual because English ivy starts also immediately.
    I am thinking there must be some hard and fast rule about German Ivy not starting on a north facing wall, that is the only thing I can attribute to the lack of climbing.

So, if there is anyone conversant with the different climbing Ivies, would like to hear from them regarding this unusual question.

Tick
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Dec 12, 2011, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I hope there are some super gardeners out there who can give me advice on new German Ivy planting.

I planted two new plants on a north facing wall a month ago and they still haven't started to climb. I find this unusual because English ivy starts also immediately.
    I am thinking there must be some hard and fast rule about German Ivy not starting on a north facing wall, that is the only thing I can attribute to the lack of climbing.

So, if there is anyone conversant with the different climbing Ivies, would like to hear from them regarding this unusual question.

Tick
    Hello Tick, how are you?

German Ivy; also known as Parlor or Cape Ivy is actually a member of the Aster family a perennial, and not a true Ivy.

The rule is not hard, and fast, but Your Ivy would prefer a sunnier location.
    Light: German Ivy's like bright light, even full sun in the winter. They will even tolerate light shade.

Temperature: A minimum of 10°C (50°F) in winter. It could tolerate it going into the 30s and even 20's a few times each winter.

Hardiness: USDA Zone 11: above 4.5°C (40°F), but there have been reports of it being hardy to zone 10, 9, and (8, 10 to 20°F -12.3 to -6.6°C).

For your area you would be in (5b) -26.1 -23.4°C to (6a) -23.3 -20.6°C If you are still there off Lake Erie.
    That would be about a -14 to -4°F here in the States.

English Ivy is hardy to USDA Zone 6, (-10 to 0°F) (-23.3 to -17.8°C).

So it does sound like you have a problem with light, and will have with cold weather.

My best suggestion:
    If you have any viable cuttings left re-start them indoors, and when you think they are ready to go outside come Spring plant them on your North wall.
    Then hope they will re-seed themselves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a...

Can I apply for a german passport when married to a german and living in south africa [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm South African and would like to know if I will be able to apply for a German passport after getting married to my fiancé which of cause is a German himself. We will however live in South Africa after getting married. Our marriage will also take place in South Africa.

I'm german but live in england my husband is turkish can he get a german passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm german living in england My husband is turkish can he get a german passport Because I'm german??

Where can I get proofs that my grandfather was German --> Obtaining German Passport [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, My Grandfather was German and he escaped to New York from the Nazis around 1940. He was naturalized as a US Citizen in Feb 1945 so technically he should lose his German Citizenship, however because of Nirenberg laws he's entitled to regain his German Citizenship, hence my father and...

View more questions Search