Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeb100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2011, 09:15 AM
    Use a portable Generator
    I want to run two 115 volt sump pumps from a 120/240 volt outlet on a 4000 watt portable generator which has a 4 prong plug. How do I split the wires from the 4 prong plug to 2 normal 115 volt female plugs?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2011, 04:45 AM
    The 4 wire twist lock receptacle has two live, one neutral, and one equipment ground terminals. The cord will have the following wires, black and red for the two live, white as neutral, and green for equipment ground. Use the black for one receptacle, red for the other, white and green will be common for each receptacle.

Use the brass screws on the receptacle for live, silver for neutral, and green for green wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable generator [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4500 watt portable generator .when I plug something into it it doesn't seem to give that appliance full power,such as lights will be somewhat dim and flicker , not boldly but a flicker nonetheless. Engine runs smooth, but notice the needle on the meter won't quite go up to 120v and it has...

Portable generator suggestions [ 3 Answers ]

Im looking to buy a portable generator for occasional use, such as some power to a house during a blackout. I am not looking to power the whole house, Im looking to just keep a refrigerator running, maybe a light or 2, maybe interchanging a small appliance I Do not want to overpay for a...

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

QUOTE=tkrussell]The 100 volts is a bit low. Electrical device operate on +/- 10% , so the lowest volts supplied should be no lower than 108 volts. Incandescent lamps and electric heat will work fine on 100 volts. But any motors may overheat using 100 volts. Volts is usually changed on the...

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

The question I have is that my generator is only putting out about 100v. I would like to know if this will cause damage to anything that is running off the generator. Correct me if I am wrong but don't most appliances run between 110 and 120. I was told that the output of the generator could vary...

Portable Generator [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in purchasing a 5000 to 6200 watt portable generator to use during power outages. What are the safety concerns such as rain, snow, how far from any structues must it be used, and can it be placed on a deck? Also would like to here any recommendations as to what model and...

View more questions Search