Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fubar4ever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
    Why my dvd player doesn't play mpeg
    I burned a dvd in what I thought was mp2 but the file says mpeg. Now it won't play on my dvd player
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 28, 2011, 10:31 AM
    Although we use the term DVD interchangeably to mean both “Data DVD” discs used in a computer and “Video DVD” discs that play in a DVD player, they are actually a bit different from each other.

On a “Data DVD”, you can write any sort of data you like to the disc. Some DVD players will be able to read this and playback individual files encoded in various formats (like a DIVX file with a AVI extension, or a Windows Media file with an WMV extension, as well as MP3 audio files and JPG image files).

A “Video DVD” has a specific layout that DVD players understand and can playback. If you stick these discs into the DVD drive on your computer, you'll see the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders and VOB files on the disc.

So… depending on how you burned the disc… the computer might read the file from your DVD drive and play it, but a DVD player may or may not support what you have.

Usually you would use some kind of DVD authoring tool to create a Video-DVD, or burn an existing image of a DVD to the disc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't a memorex printable dvd play on a dvd player? [ 0 Answers ]

I burned a home movie to a regular dvd and it plays on the PC, Mac and DVD player attached to the TV. When I burn the same movie to a printable dvd it won't play on the DVD player.

Playing MPEG-2 files on a Philips DVD player. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Philips DVP3350v DVD/VCR combo and I recently downloaded some videos from YouTube on to my hard drive, and converted the videos to MPEG2 format using Any Video Converter. They will play on my Toshiba but will not play on the aforementioned Philips. I have also converted the videos to...

My dvd player does not play jpg photos [ 2 Answers ]

My dvd player cannot read jpg files. Wwhat is the most common photo format that all dvd players would support? What should I convert my photo files to to play them on my dvd?

Memorex dvd's will not play in dvd player= / [ 13 Answers ]

I have bought Memorex 25pk recordable 16x speed, 4.7 gb DVD+R's and i burned a movie on one and it will not play in my dvd player. It says Imcomplete disk. I dont know why its seying this because its supposed be able to have movies burned on it. Can someone help me? maybe im not doing something...

View more questions Search