Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 04:40 PM
    Time for opinions.
    Here is something interesting I came across and would like your opinions on.

Ref:

House Weighs Bill To Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines | Fox News

I feel it could be a good thing but at the same time it could be a nightmare. With a permit and knowing states the reciprocate you know you must follow the local laws. So if you do cross state lines your permit only gets you so far. But with the addition of states like California where the limitation is on the gun itself and not just how / where it can be carried it could quickly turn into a mess.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 07:19 PM
    I agree... it has potential to be a huge mess. In order to make this something that would work, gun laws would have to be standardized from state to state, county to county, town to town... and so forth.

I like the idea in general yet at the same time, I just think it would be too easy to become trapped in a bad situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
    I guess a National Right to carry permit would be way too much to ask for.

I know it is a nightmare when I travel from GA to Mo, I have to pass though Il ( for about 3 miles) there, there is no carry allowed
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 15, 2011, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I guess a National Right to carry permit would be way to much to ask for.

I know it is a nightmare when I travel from GA to Mo, I have to pass though Il ( for about 3 miles) there, there is no carry allowed
    I agree. Imagine the confusion when being legal and crossing a line to have your gun determined illegal. California has a mag restriction (10 rounds). So if your gun normally holds more rounds your breaking the law even with legal carry permit. I guess sticking to a 1911 single stack would keep you out of trouble if you were to carry that wide of a range.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
    Just saw this - I see a problem when cities have different "rules" than States. For example, you can carry (with a permit) in NY State BUT you cannot carry in New York City.

There's an exception to any Federal rule.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Just saw this - I see a problem when cities have different "rules" than States. For example, you can carry (with a permit) in NY State BUT you cannot carry in New York City.

There's an exception to any Federal rule.
    SO if you have a legal right to carry in the State of New York. Your not allowed to carry in New York City except??

What does it take to carry in New York City and is that also valid for Statewide carry ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2011, 12:59 PM
    I do not believe anyone can "carry" in NYC except for people directly involved in NYC law enforcement. Back in the day when I worked for the Feds and had a Federal permit I was requested not to "carry" in NYC unless I was there on business.

I'll come back after I do some research. My guess - and I know we aren't about guessing - is that it's either a special permit OR an additional permit.

So I guess when I'm in NYC I'll have to carry a bag of rocks with which to defend myself.
    Entomology Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
    According to Carry Concealed.net, NYC has it's own rules:

"Right-To-Carry Law Type: Restrictive May Issue. In order for an upstate licensee to lawfully carry a handgun in New York City, he/she must first make application with the New York City Police Department to have their permit "validated." An investigation will be conducted to determine the authenticity of the license, after which a "needs assessment" will be conducted to determine whether the applicant has sufficiently demonstrated a "need" to possess a handgun under the circumstances provided.

The simple desire to possess a handgun while in New York City, without some other extenuating circumstances, will not serve to present a "need" suitable to receive authorization. In cases where "need" is sufficiently demonstrated, permission will be given, usually for a specific period of time, after which the process would start over again."

Just like here in PA, we are allowed to open carry without a license. You need to have a license to carry concealed or have one in the car with you... but open carry is legal with no license or permit... Except in Philadelphia. They have their own rules and will not honor the state law that says you can open carry. You need a CCW permit in order to legally carry open or concealed in Philadelphia.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    According to Carry Concealed.net, NYC has it's own rules:

"Right-To-Carry Law Type: Restrictive May Issue. In order for an upstate licensee to lawfully carry a handgun in New York City, he/she must first make application with the New York City Police Department to have their permit "validated." An investigation will be conducted to determine the authenticity of the license, after which a "needs assessment" will be conducted to determine whether the applicant has sufficiently demonstrated a "need" to possess a handgun under the circumstances provided.

The simple desire to possess a handgun while in New York City, without some other extenuating circumstances, will not serve to present a "need" suitable to receive authorization. In cases where "need" is sufficiently demonstrated, permission will be given, usually for a specific period of time, after which the process would start over again."

Just like here in PA, we are allowed to open carry without a license. You need to have a license to carry concealed or have one in the car with you...but open carry is legal with no license or permit....Except in Philadelphia. They have their own rules and will not honor the state law that says you can open carry. You need a CCW permit in order to legally carry open or concealed in Philadelphia.
    Every state is so different. Its hard to keep up on the latest stuff.
    Entomology Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 05:49 PM
    And that's where the biggest problem would be with interstate permits.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
    It's already a nightmare. Making it a national law will make it much worse in the long run for police but not for the average "joe public".
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Dec 27, 2011, 08:38 AM
    The last thing we need is another place for Washington to get involved they are already busy elsewhere running the country into the ground. This is such a loaded issue because you have the left firmly against the second amendment and personal rights. I have carried in the last three states I have lived in and I will not live or travel in any state that dose not respect it's citizens right to self defense. It is not that I have to be able to carry in the state but that citizens of the state can reasonably expect to be able to get a CCP or open carry) I have no problem with countries that restrict guns they are not the United states and what they want to do with or to their citizens is an issue for their citizens and government.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for opinions [ 8 Answers ]

Here's my situation. We've been dating for ~3 months now. We spend as much time as we can together(almost everyday). The other night my girlfriend and I went to see a concert, I had to drive her home right away because she had school in the morning, we get to her house talked about how much fun...

Needs some opinions [ 7 Answers ]

Hey all I was just looking for different advice chats and found this website and I have a few issue I can use some advice on. I have been dating my girfriend now for almost 3 years. We fight like any other couple nothing to serious. Problem is that I pretty much build a life around her wondering...

Need opinions [ 2 Answers ]

My nephew has an outstanding warrant for drug use. He did not appear in court. His dad signed a 5000.00 surety bond and he did not appear. Since the first incident my sisters home has been raided once again. They did not find my nephew there. They did arrest his dad (my brotherinlaw) for stolen...

View more questions Search