Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handaff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2011, 05:52 AM
    Maths important question
    Mark's daily pocket money is 40 cents more than jee sian's. Each of them spends $1.40 a day and saves the rest. By the time Jee Sian has saved $50, Maek has saved $20 more than Jee sian. How much is Jee Sian's daily pocket money?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Assign variables to the pocket money of Mark and Jee Sian.

For example,
    let m be the daily pocket money of mark,
    let j be the daily pocket money of Jee Sian.

From the first line,
    m = j + 40

You have to give Jee Sian 40 more cents to get the same amount as Mark.

Each day, Mark spends $1.40, this means, he saves m - 1.4
    Each day, Jee Sian spends $1.40, this means he saves j - 1.4

After some days, d, Mark has got $50. The number of days multiplied by the daily savings give the total saved.
    d * (m - 1,4) = 50

same for Jee Sian;
    d * (j - 1.4) = 20

So that you get two equations which can be combined:

And with two equations and two variables, can you solve for m and j, the daily pocket money of Mark and Jee Sian? :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Important question about using hydroquinone twice a day? PLEASE help? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I'm on the Retin a and HQ regime. And I use Hydroquinone twice a day.. but the thing is.. I have messed up sleeping patterns so I use it at different times every night & day. My question is.. how many hours after using at at night (or day) should I use it again? I'm always thinking 12...

Very important question help me [ 1 Answers ]

We got married in 01/2007 and after so long time I got my visa in 2009 and I came to usa oct 2009 and I stayed with my wife but she was not good to me at all I was abused and she was trying to cut of my all connection with my family and all other friends and many other things and she got in mail my...

Chemistry question: IMPORTANT [ 1 Answers ]

NaHCO yeilds NaOH + CO2, How do you balance this equation

I Have A Very Important Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My Name Is Robin, The Other Day I Went To The Doctors And Was Told That I May Have Herpes 1 Or 2. I Was Scared At First Until I Started Looking Herpes Up On The Computer. From What I've I Rarely Have And Of The Common Symptoms. I'm A Little Confused I Was Askes To Take A Test To Which I...

View more questions Search