Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aous86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2003, 04:37 PM
    Proof Reading
    Can you guys help me by proof reading my project below, thanks.

Abstract

For various years programming was the answer to help many obstacles that faces millions of people. Programming helped people in many ranges and solved many problems in many fields. For blind and visually impaired person who must use a computer is a very hard task. Math was the most hard and difficult thing to work on and to understand for blind and visually impaired. This made it a close path for a blind and visually impaired person who wants to use a computer and want to answer a mathematical question using a calculator. Therefore, a calculator must be created which has the abilities to speak and interacts with the user with disabilities. These days any person can make or build a program using programming. For most programmers Visual Basic was the answer for building programs. Visual Basic is the most preferred programming language. It started as a very simple one (called BASIC) in the days of dos and early windows/macs. As it evolved, and other languages were developed, it was usually relegated to first-time programmers. It is still recommended as a Beginners first language, but it has come on a lot since it was first released, and is often chosen over C++ because of the speed at which professional applications can be created using it. The major jump was from 16 bit to 32 bit in VB5 (you could also buy a 32 bit version of VB4). Visual Basic 6 was released late in 1998, and was used for this project. For a blind and visually impaired person was a hard task to create a special calculator that uses voice activation and text to speech. Visual Basic was found to fit all the needs for this project. Various calculators were designed for the blind and visually impaired, all were just standard type. For this project a high quality calculator was designed for the blind and visually impaired that uses scientific functions that relates to Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry. This calculator was created with voice activation and uses text to speech objects. The voice activated calculator is a unique calculator, no other calculator have been created that uses voice activation for blind and visually impaired. This voice activated calculator was designed so the user talks to the calculator with a microphone and then the calculator responds back and gives the user the information he needs by answering the mathematical question. The voice activated calculator was found to be the calculator with more functions than any other calculator and easier to use.

Objective

1. To help blind and visually impaired use understandable and easy voice-calculator.
    2. To encourage blind and visually impaired to use math using calculator.
    3. To design a calculator that uses voice-activation and text to speech.
    4. To provide and include additional math functions that no other voice-calculator have.

Hypothesis

Most all computer and programming languages tend to get better when considering new functions, methods, procedures, and component, because technology is growing and new ideas and options are appearing for the world. Using the component voice activation (Microsoft Direct Speech Recognition) in Visual Basic is a new idea for a voice calculator with a combination of text to speech (Microsoft Voice Text) that will help the blind and the visually impaired. Could the component of Microsoft Direct Speech Recognition work better with the voice calculator that has text to speech (Microsoft Voice Text) when compared with other voice calculators?

Materials

1. AMD Athlon
    heliotrope Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2003, 11:22 PM
    Proof Reading
    I'll tackle your first sentence, then you really need to do a grammar check, along with your word processing's spell check facility, then resubmit your next draft, here. You have a great number of grammatical errors (quite numerous, in fact) that would make for an enormous answer from me. It might be best to tackle them one at a time.

Here is your first sentence:

For various1 years2 programming was the answer to help3 many obstacles that faces4 millions of people.

1. Your first problem is the adjective various. This means different types/kinds; you need an adjective that means amount of, such as many, several, a number of...it all depends on what your time span, realistically, is.
    2. The next problem is lack of proper punctuation after the initial prepositional phrase For various years; it needs a comma. You NEVER start a sentence with a preposition, unless it is set off by punctuation.
    3. Next up, your adverbial phrase, to help, doesn't agree with your subject. Your sentence reads: programming was the answer to help many obstacles...you mean, helping people, not the obstacles.
    4. Next, the verb faces, also, doesn't agree with the subject. An obstacle or person (singular) faces; obstacles or people (plural) face.
    5. Your sentence seems to be missing information, or leading up to a problem with programming. Your sentence seems to imply that programming was only helpful in the beginning, but isn't now. You need to re-work this so your thought is clearer.

Here is a semi-corrected (remember, your sentence is missing some information and I can't really guess what you want to say):

For many years, programming was the answer that helped millions of people face the obstacles to...

I'll be happy to help more with this, but you need to take another look at your sentence structures, verbs, adjectives, and adverb choices. Try a grammar check to see what changes it might suggest. Unless you're under a critical time constraint, I can probably help you with the rest of your project; it will just take a little time. Post back after you've done a grammar check. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proof Reading [ 3 Answers ]

Can you guys help me by proof reading my project below, thanks. Abstract For various years programming was the answer to help many obstacles that faces millions of people. Programming helped people in many ranges and solved many problems in many fields. For blind and...

Proof reading a cover letter [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone help with proof reading a letter for checking grammar and areas. John Do 25 5th Ave Bethlehem, PA 18018 [email protected] 600-814-0017 July 14, 2005

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

Proof by induction [ 2 Answers ]

How can I prove the following? for any integer n>=1, {celling of } = (floor of lg n) + 1 thanks for the help

View more questions Search