Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    super_kid Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 10:17 AM
    Staring anxieties?
    Hi Erm this is going to sound extremely weird but I have a problem of staring at people from the sides of my eyes if that makes sense Like lets say I'm watching TV I would be looking forward but somehow I mage to look either side of me I can't I can't help it , its like when you say to yourself yor not going to do it and beacause your thinking about it you end up doing it , I probably sound like a right weirdo but its ruining my life I need help ASAP I'm only 13
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
    First off what is it your trying to see when you look? Are you checking to see if your being looked at or just checking the person / persons around you?

Sep 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Im Just trying to look straight and focus on watching TV
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by super_kid View Post
    Im Just trying to look straight and focus on watching tv

Then why are you trying to look out of the corner of your eye?

Sep 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Im not trying to but I can't stop
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
    You'll be a very careful driver some day. Peripheral vision is very important.

Sep 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Yeah but people think I'm looking at them and it makes them feel uncomfortable and makes me look like a weirdo what can I do to stop ?
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
    You first have to identify why you are doing it. Conditions like OCD (a repetative action) start with the indentification of why.

If you can't figure that out then you can't be helped. Persons with repetitive hand washing do so because the "feel" their hands are unclean.

So dig deep and try to figure out why your doing it.

Sep 10, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Will it make a difference if I find out why I'm doing it ?
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
    will it make a difference if i find out why im doing it ?
    Of course it will. That way you can corrct it. Most behavior good bad or indifferent has a reasoning behind it. If you want change you have to know the cause to create a cure.

Sep 10, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Oh OK thanks a lot
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
    When I was maybe in 3rd grade I had a compulsion to run my hands around the tops of the window sills in my classroom, feeling each edge around the moldings and so on. It was embarrassing and of course my teacher wouldn't let me do it. I also had to tighten 1 knee at a time when in a car every time we passed a telephone pole, which was every few seconds, when I was young too (no one ever knew). Now that I am old, I wouldn't have even remembered those things. You usually grow out of them. I had a blushing year too, at about your age. I have little compulsions now about measuring things and drawing house plans for my dream house. It's soothing. I can understand the peering sideways compulsion and am not sure you will find a reason. People have all sorts of facial quirks. I have a friend who squinches up his whole face when asked a question he has to think about.
    I would make a set of blinders like horses wore in the old days in crowded cities; it helped calm them. Tie a big floppy hat down around your ears and eyes. Just try it when alone for a while to see what happens.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2011, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    If you want change you have to know the cause to create a cure.
    Hello dad:

Actually there's a therapy out there that says you DON'T have to know the cause of your behavior in order to stop it.. It says you can simply STOP doing it, even though you don't know WHY you did it in the first place... Then, if you wish, you can spend the thousands of $$$'s for therapy that it'll take to find out WHY you behaved in such a manner, but you don't really need to.

I subscribe to that therapy.

excon

Sep 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
    @joypulv Thanks I think that advice can actually work ; its the fact I make people feel uncomfortable I have to cover my face sometimes when I'm in school it gets very fustrating & I cnt talk to anywun about it
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
    Hello kid:

I'm failing to understand what the problem is.. You're staring at people peripherally? So, they don't KNOW you're staring at them, right? So, how can it bother them?? If it bothers YOU, then stop doing it. But, why would it bother you? I look at people all the time. I LOVE looking at people. If I could look at them and them NOT know I was looking at them, I wouldn't think that's a problem. I'd LOVE to have that ability.

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 02:09 PM
    its jus the fact i make ppl feel uncomfortable i have to cover my face sometimes wen im in school it gets very fustrating & i cnt talk to anywun about it
    How can you possibly make people feel uncomfortable? (See excon's answer before mine.) Only someone looking straight at you would notice your eye movements. Someone at your side can't see your eyes.

Sep 11, 2011, 09:35 AM
    I don't know how it makes them feel uncomfortable but I'm sure that they think I'm looking at them but I'm really not
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2011, 09:48 AM
    I dont kno how it makes them feel uncomfortable but im sure tht they think im looking at them but im really not
    So you don't KNOW for SURE that they feel uncomfortable.

Has anyone ever said he feels uncomfortable because you are looking at him out of the corners of your eyes? Or you just think he does?

Sep 11, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Yeah They Have
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
    How can they see you staring if they are at your side? It's a physical impossibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How come my guy friend keeps staring at me? [ 15 Answers ]

So I recently met a dude who is 5 years older, he's cool and all. We talk a lot, he knows that I'm taken and he and his girl are having problems. The other day when we hung out my my other friend, who is a girl. I noticed that he kept staring at me, well it's like more of the feeling where you know...

How can I suppress my anxieties and frustrations for the time being? [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I found out a few weeks ago that she is pregnant which was unplanned but definitely not unwanted. I realise that this is going to be a struggle for the both of us obviously her more so but I keep getting weird changes in mood, and although I know it's going to be a time when her...

Staring to people [ 4 Answers ]

happy95 I am new to this site. My question is that I am very shy person by nature right now I am facing a problem that I stair at people I didn't know why I do this. I think I am over conscious that people are watching me what they are thinking about me right now I am in a big trouble because...

He keeps staring. Does he like me? [ 21 Answers ]

I like the same guy I did when I made other posts and I have a question... So this guy stares at me everyday, goes close to where I am, gets his friends to ask things about my life etc. but he never talks to me, and when he does he starts the conversation but never really leads it on... ...

The best staring 5 (from 1983 to present) [ 8 Answers ]

PG Magic Johnson SG Michael Jordan SF LBJ PF Dennis Rodman C David Robinson PG Jason Kidd SG Kobe Bryant SF Scottie Pipen PF Tim Duncan

View more questions Search