Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rental123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 06:23 PM
    I left apartment and turned in apartment's keys and gave no 30 day notice.
    Why did the landlord charged me the monthly month of rent and still some more after I left apartment 8 days after I had paid 1 months rent and told them I could not stay there anymore due to family emergency and unemployment reasons.
    I gave them the keys so they should not charge me for the 8 days and that same months rent?
    It is correct for him to take my money just like that. I was not even in the apartment the rest of the 22 days of the month of January 2007. Please what does the law say about this situation?Help me someone, please!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 06:27 PM
    You owe rent for 30 days after the date you give them the 30 days notice if you are on a month to month rental.

And a lot will depend if you have a written rental agreement.

If for example you give them notice on the 10th of the month, you will owe at least till the 10th of the next month.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2007, 08:34 PM
    You need to check your lease. If the lease says you need to give 60 days notice, then they can charge you rent for 60 days from when you gave notice.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rental123
    Why did the landlord charged me the monthly month of rent and still some more after I left apartment 8 days after I had paid 1 months rent and told them I could not stay there anymore due to family emergency and unemployment reasons.
    I gave them the keys so they should not charge me for the 8 days and that same months rent?
    It is correct for him to take my money just like that. I was not even in the apartment the rest of the 22 days of the month of January 2007. Please what does the law say about this situation?Help me someone, please!
    If I understand this correctly, you paid the full months rent for January. On or about January 8 you gave them back the keys, moved all your belongings out of the apartment and told them you would not be returning. This is an apartment building, not a motel, hotel or boarding house. The landlord does not rent on a day to day basis. He rents either on a month to month or possibly a one year lease. It was your choice to leave on the 8th, not his so you owed and paid for the month of January. Your lease probably states that you must give a one month notice if you are going to leave. The notice must include a rental period. You owe for the month of February.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

We had a lease that expired on June 30 of 2006. We then went to month to month agreement. So now we want to move and gave a 30 day notice on the 12th of jan. 07 and our landlord is saying we have to give the 30 days at the beginning of the month. Is she wrong or right. We live in Wisconsin. We told...

30 day notice [ 3 Answers ]

I recently closed escrow on my new home. I was not sure that escrow would close on time or that it would close at all. We had a lot of bumps in the road. So for that reason I did not give a 30 day notice, I wanted to make sure escrow closed. I currently rent on a month 2 month basis. I gave 30 day...

30 day notice [ 5 Answers ]

If I put in a 30 day notice on the 5th and they did not get it until the 9th. The notice is dated the 5th can they make me stay or pay until the 9th even it I will be gone on the 2nd. Also can they evict me if I paid $375 which of which my security deposit was $850.00 and the rent is $1225. I...

30 day notice? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm in San Diego, California and I was initially on a lease, which expired over year ago so I am now month to month. The lease stipulates that if the lease expires without renewal the terms of the lease still apply in the month to month situation. The lease also stipulates that the tenant shall...

View more questions Search